Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Black screen on startup Macbook Air 11 2013

Hello,

I decided to reinstall my OS X 10.10

So after restart i held "cmd+r", open Disk Utility and format my ssd, then start downloading OS X 10.10

But suddenly an error appeared, and I noticed that there is no SSD in Disk Utility anymore

Then I decided to reboot my macbook and try to reinstall my OS X one more time, so i held power button for 10 sec and then start again

After this the only thing i have is a black screen

I tried reset NVRAM and SMC - no results

Cmd+R - not working

I made installation drive and tried boot using option button - same

Every command I tried - nothing appear on the screen

Can You help me with this?

Thanks.

P.S. Macbook Air 11 2013 128GB MODEL A1465

MacBook Air

Posted on Jan 27, 2015 4:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2015 5:38 PM

You took all the reasonable actions that can be expected. Read the following Apple Support document to be sure there isn't anything you may have overlooked:

Troubleshooting: My computer won't turn on - Apple Support

It seems unlikely that a catastrophic failure would coincide with what you did, so perform the NVRAM and SMC resets again, making sure you did both of them properly. After that, schedule a Genius Bar Reservation.

The SMC reset procedure is linked in the above document. The NVRAM reset is as follows:

NVRAM reset:

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  6. Release the keys.

After resetting NVRAM or PRAM, you may need to reconfigure your settings for speaker volume, screen resolution, startup disk selection, and time zone information. If issues persist, your Mac's logic board battery (not a portable Mac's rechargeable battery) may need to be replaced. The logic board battery helps retain NVRAM/PRAM settings when your computer is shut down. You can take your Mac to a Mac Genius or Apple Authorized Service Provider to replace the battery on the logic board.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2015 5:38 PM in response to Community User

You took all the reasonable actions that can be expected. Read the following Apple Support document to be sure there isn't anything you may have overlooked:

Troubleshooting: My computer won't turn on - Apple Support

It seems unlikely that a catastrophic failure would coincide with what you did, so perform the NVRAM and SMC resets again, making sure you did both of them properly. After that, schedule a Genius Bar Reservation.

The SMC reset procedure is linked in the above document. The NVRAM reset is as follows:

NVRAM reset:

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  6. Release the keys.

After resetting NVRAM or PRAM, you may need to reconfigure your settings for speaker volume, screen resolution, startup disk selection, and time zone information. If issues persist, your Mac's logic board battery (not a portable Mac's rechargeable battery) may need to be replaced. The logic board battery helps retain NVRAM/PRAM settings when your computer is shut down. You can take your Mac to a Mac Genius or Apple Authorized Service Provider to replace the battery on the logic board.

Black screen on startup Macbook Air 11 2013

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.