Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to do Clean Install?

I have a couple Mac Minis (A1176) that I want to sell. I have the disk for 10.5 Leopard and want to do a clean install and erase all the data currently on the machines.

I was able to install the OSX but not while erasing the personal data.

I looked up how to do it and found this tutorial but it didn't work. I have a usb keyboard plugged in and working, but when I hold down "option" on restart, nothing happens differently. It just goes to the login screen like usual. I also tried the "C" key on restart; nothing different happened.

I have tried this multiple times on both computers, I'm not sure how to go about installing a clean OSX. Does anyone know?

Posted on Jan 27, 2015 4:27 PM

7 replies

Jan 27, 2015 4:52 PM in response to elgraso

Hi, a bit confused... You did install OS from the DVD, or you could not???

Is this a Retail 10.5 Install Disc, or a grey machine specific/Intel only Install Disk?

What is the 2z691-****-A number on the Disc?

Without a proper Install Disc, might try this, but new owners should have an Install Disc included...

Open System Preferences>Accounts, unlock the lock, click on the little plus icon, make a new admin account, log out & into the new account.

In the same pref pane highlight your old account, click the little minus icon, then use Disk Utility to Secure Erase Free Space.

Jan 29, 2015 1:09 PM in response to elgraso

Another item to try & do to see if the install-restore DVD may work, is to check

the System Preferences> "Startup Disk" panel to see if the DVD appears as a

Startup option in there. If so, see if it really does -- after choosing it there...

If the computers shipped with a machine-specific grey label install restore disc

set with a version of Leopard 10.5 on DVD, then a retail disc won't work. There

were differences, too, between Intel-based and PowerPC-based Mac install DVD.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

How to do Clean Install?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.