Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.10.2 update authenticity check fails

I manually downloaded the 10.10.2 update using the instructions in the KB article "OS X Yosemite 10.10.2 Update" which tells you to download http://support.apple.com/downloads/DL1785/en_US/osxupd10.10.2.dmg

The KB article also tells you:

See http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5044 article for details on how to verify the authenticity of this download.

I downloaded the file, and followed the instructions to verify it. In step 6, the certificate fingerprints don't match. Here's a screenshot:

User uploaded file

I've downloaded 3 copies of this osxupd10.10.2.dmg file over 3 different internet connections. All of them are the same, with the SHA256 checksum:

08f02e87adfb06b73dcec6dc55e07e2e88cb661cfb5869d6664a93d2935ebef5

If you have a different SHA256 checksum, I would be interested to hear that.

(Please don't bother responding with accusations of paranoia. Yes, I'm aware that the Apple KB article about verification might simply be out of date. If you think a security-sensitive KB article containing wrong fingerprints is a non-issue, then please find another conversation and move on. Thanks.)

Posted on Jan 27, 2015 4:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2015 4:16 PM

sudaeno kushege wrote:

User uploaded file

In your image you have selected the second certificate - called 'Software Update'

In Apple's example they have selected the the 'Apple Software Update Certificate Authority'

You are not comparing 'like with like'.

Please tell me off if I am missing the point - I do not have these downloads, it just struck me as odd.

🙂

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2015 4:16 PM in response to sudaeno kushege

sudaeno kushege wrote:

User uploaded file

In your image you have selected the second certificate - called 'Software Update'

In Apple's example they have selected the the 'Apple Software Update Certificate Authority'

You are not comparing 'like with like'.

Please tell me off if I am missing the point - I do not have these downloads, it just struck me as odd.

🙂

10.10.2 update authenticity check fails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.