Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Air 2 keyboard lag due to iCloud Drive

Ok so I've been having this problem for a while now.

First I discovered (on my iPad 2, iOS 8) that my keyboard was unresponsive. after seeing no letters being typed for a few seconds; a rush of all letters would follow. This is the same with using the backspace, you won't see any letters being removed then suddenly a large string of letters will be backspaced. Which is super frustrating and affects everything from iMessage to Safari. Then I upgraded to an iPad Air 2, but I'm still having the same problem!

The only solution to the problem seems to be turning off iCloud drive in Settings.😟

I've updated iOS to 8.1.3 but still can't use iCloud drive without effecting my darn keyboard.

I've ruled out a problem with my Apple ID because my iPhone 6 (iOS 8.1.3) remains unaffected...

I've also selectively deactivated apps, one-by-one to rule out a specific app that might be buggy that uses the iCloud drive sync capability.

I have no third party keyboards installed.

Anybody else having this issue?

Posted on Jan 27, 2015 10:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2015 10:54 PM

Update: iOS 8.3 still hasn't sorted out the issue...

3 replies

May 4, 2015 11:49 PM in response to leezozo

Yes, I have this problem too on both my iPhone and iPad (iPhone 6 / iPad Air 2)

First I did not know that it was iCloud Drive that caused this problem so I have

changed hardware several times.

The only possible solution is to deactivate iCloud drive.

Apples support know about this problem and they admit that it has to do with iCloud Drive.

They also said that they are working on a solution that will come in later IOS versions.

May 5, 2015 12:49 AM in response to leezozo

SOLUTION FOUND!!! (Please do it at your own risk)

Ok you're going to need a Mac with the same iCloud account as your iOS devices. I'm currently running OSX Yosemite 10.10.3

1. Ok, open up the Terminal app.

2. Type/Paste in: ln -s ~/Library/Mobile\ Documents/ ~/Desktop/Real\ iCloud\ Drive

3. A shortcut folder will now be placed on your desktop called 'Real iCloud Drive'.

4. Open the folder and view the contents as 'list view' not the default 'icon view'.

5. Navigate down to the Settings folder

6. Click the little grey arrow to the left of the Settings folder to expand it.

7. You should now have expanded to two more folders Dictionaries and Settings

8. Expand Dictionaries as you did in Step 6 by clicking the little grey arrow next to it.

9. There should be a couple of folders expanded underneath it. Delete them all.

10. A pop up prompt will ask you if you're sure you want to delete these entries. Click Move to Trash - Clear it from your trash as well

11. Reboot your iOS devices & Turn on iCloud drive.

iPad Air 2 keyboard lag due to iCloud Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.