Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 failed to upgrade to iOS8.1.3

I attempted to update my iPhone 6 (64GB) to iOS 8.1.3 via iTunes - and now it's stuck in Recovery Mode, telling me that all my data will be deleted if I restore. Update is greyed out. If I bite the bullet and attempt to restore, the restore also fails. The screen on my iPhone is black - not even a 'plug me in to iTunes' picture.

I don't really want to restore (because I've got health book data in there that hasn't been backed up, and I assume that it doesn't get synced into iCloud) - but if it's that or no phone at all, it seems like the lesser of two evils.

Has anyone experienced a problem of this nature before? Can anyone help me unbrick my phone?

Posted on Jan 28, 2015 4:53 AM

11 replies

Jan 28, 2015 9:17 AM in response to Buggins Turn

Buggins Turn wrote:

I attempted to update my iPhone 6 (64GB) to iOS 8.1.3 via iTunes - and now it's stuck in Recovery Mode, telling me that all my data will be deleted if I restore. Update is greyed out. If I bite the bullet and attempt to restore, the restore also fails. The screen on my iPhone is black - not even a 'plug me in to iTunes' picture.

I don't really want to restore (because I've got health book data in there that hasn't been backed up, and I assume that it doesn't get synced into iCloud) - but if it's that or no phone at all, it seems like the lesser of two evils.

Has anyone experienced a problem of this nature before? Can anyone help me unbrick my phone?

If I'm understanding you correctly the only two choices given to you, update or restore, can't be done either because its greyed out or fails and the phone is blank. Unless someone else can offer a solution my suggestion is to call Apple Support or visit an Apple store.

Jan 28, 2015 2:24 PM in response to Buggins Turn

Okay. My iPhone is now working again. I'm not entirely certain how - but I'll write up what I know (just in case it helps anyone else).

After a little fiddling around, I managed to get my iPhone displaying the connect to iTunes screen again. The fiddling consisted of leaving it alone for a while, and then holding power and home together. I did this quite a lot. Eventually it worked.

What didn't work: Quitting all the programs on my MacBook Pro, Restarting it, cleaning the Mac (with CleanMyMac 2), redownloading the update, and trying again. Same result, again and again.

What did work: Plugging my iPhone into my Mac Pro and trying again. I had to try twice - the first time failed, the second time was a complete success.

The difference between the two computers is that my iPhone is paired with my MacBook Pro for the purposes of writing software (and I'm using the latest beta of Xcode on it). I haven't done any in depth analysis - but I wonder if the beta could be the problem. My Mac Pro is mainly used for Mac software development and is using the latest release version.

I'm clutching at straws, of course. I'm just glad that my iPhone is working again.

iPhone 6 failed to upgrade to iOS8.1.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.