Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

set iphoto library permissions for multiple users

i tried and give permission to each user on my mac to access the iphoto library which is in a share folder. however, each time a different user tries and opens the library, iphoto says it needs to repair permission and then ends up setting the permission for only the last user who accessed the library. i DO NOT want to move it to an external drive as I want to carry it on my mac wherever I go.

i dont understand why setting read and write permissions is not working for it. can someone tell me a good way to deal with this. a single library manages all my family member's personal and share photos.

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10), 13 inch, i5, 256 GB SSD, 2013

Posted on Jan 28, 2015 12:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2015 1:16 AM

There is no good way to deal with it, outside of using an external, set to ignore ownership and permissions.

You could try putting the Library on a disk image, set to ignore ownership and permissions, but there is no guarantee that this will work.

An iPhoto Library is a database built on a complex ecosystem of interlocking files, databases and metadata. The Finder's permissions are of no relevance at all here. Simply, iPhoto is designed for a single user. It's not a server, and the only way to get it to share is to move it to another disk.

22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 28, 2015 1:16 AM in response to AceNeerav

There is no good way to deal with it, outside of using an external, set to ignore ownership and permissions.

You could try putting the Library on a disk image, set to ignore ownership and permissions, but there is no guarantee that this will work.

An iPhoto Library is a database built on a complex ecosystem of interlocking files, databases and metadata. The Finder's permissions are of no relevance at all here. Simply, iPhoto is designed for a single user. It's not a server, and the only way to get it to share is to move it to another disk.

Jan 28, 2015 5:20 AM in response to AceNeerav

BUt if i give read & write permissions to other users in the get info pane shouldnt it work? Or could it be that since i didnt apply the permissions to enclosed items it didnt work?

iPhoto is writing to the iPhoto library and changing files inside the package and adding files with a different ownership even if the other users are only trying to read the library. That is why you can no longer have an iPhoto library on a CD or DVD- You ned read/write access for all files and folders inside the package. As soon as another user opens an iPhoto library, the owership of some items in the library will change to the other user.

The only supported way to share an iPhoto library has been described by Apple here - see this link: iPhoto: Sharing libraries among multiple users

Jan 28, 2015 8:30 AM in response to AceNeerav

We understood perfectly, that you want to share your library on an internal drive, and that is why I sent you the link to a document by Apple Support, that states, under which conditions a photo library can be shared - only on a separate disk or partition, correctly formatted, with the ignore ownership flag set.

I removed the optical drive from my MacBook Pro and replaced it with a second internal 1 TB drive. That made it possible to share the library on an internal drive. Your solution with the SD slot will probably work as well.

Jan 28, 2015 9:47 AM in response to AceNeerav

What part of it is impossible do you fail to comprehend?

LN

PS - no Apple fanatics here - simply users with no power rot change anything or explain why anything but due to their experience do have the ability to help people use iphoto as it is - some users apparently are incapable of understanding that simple fact and think that posting in Caps and saying over and over that they do not want what is available but want something that does not exist will make things different - it will not - it is what it is and no one here can change that - and no matter what names you call, how much you attack volunteers tying to assist yo or how much you yell or how big a tantrum you throw nothing will change

Jan 28, 2015 10:11 AM in response to AceNeerav

Why do you think the limitation - single user database - is a design flaw? You can call it that, but I call it a design decision.

It is Apple's decision, to make it possible to have a small, free photo application that comes with every Mac. Even Aperture, Apple's professional photo editing and image database software, does not support to share the library. Apple supports several ways to share selected photos quickly and easily, but keeps the library private.

Professional databases that support shared databases for professional purposes are much more expensive.

Jan 28, 2015 11:44 AM in response to AceNeerav

The use of the overly large font

I DO NOT want to move it to an external drive as I want to carry it on my mac wherever I go.

is what looks like a tantrum. It feels rude to the reader.

Then there's that calling people whose help you are seeking 'fanstics'. That certainly feels rude. You may consider iPhoto's inability to do what you want to be a design flaw. Bully for you. It doesn't matter. No one here designed it. No one here can change it. But you know this, you're on the forum long enough, you're profile says you're a Mac developer, but you seem unable to grasp the basics of the forum, nor, indeed, sandboxing. Your question was answered in the first reply, I have no idea why you keep asking it.

Jan 28, 2015 11:56 AM in response to léonie

léonie Its single user design is in itself the flaw. iPhoto for mac is a computer app. Computers can be shared among users especially in a family. if Apple wanted to let users have a a private photo library (which is very good) there should be a way to have a public one as well, shared among users.

Now I know you might ask me to simply have another library and option-click at launch to select it, but a good design would be letting users to swtich between a private and a shared library from within the app.

This would also let users quickly move files between a private and a public library, which is impossible at the moment without help from paid 3rd party apps like iPhoto library manager.

LarryHN i am pretty sure nothing will change cause there are people over here who are minions and would accept anything thrown their way. its users like me who made Microsoft fall and apple rise, cause we made the switch for something better. and if things become stagnant again, we wont mind switching to something else. rest of us love Apple products just as some of you do but we refuse to be iSlaves.

Apple is a great company, but not my religion.

In any case, you spoiled the whole thread focused on finding a non documented alternative by your unnecessary complaints about supposed 'yelling and tantrums'. if u seek to help then know that people come over here when google fails. so expect desperation.

Terence Devlin, léonie, thanks for your help. do u think it will be a good idea to manage photos in a finder folder and have them sync to ios devices. i dont really need to use iphoto on mac for anything else but storing photos in one place. all the little enhancements and editing i need can be done from my ios device. will the changes sync back? is it a good idea in general? thanks.

set iphoto library permissions for multiple users

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.