Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

spotlight on xsan not working for clients

I have a xsan. There are four clients running 10.8.5 and two mdc mac mini's running 10.8.5. The clients are unable to get search results of items on the san volumes. Any help would be appreciated.

Posted on Jan 28, 2015 7:40 AM

7 replies

Feb 25, 2015 9:48 AM in response to Mathieu Mauser

The current attempts are as follows:

I removed the clients from the Xsan, and left one of two mdc up.

I ran repair disk permissions on the boot drive

I disable spotlight on the volume fron the Xsan admin

In the terminal window, I ran the following: sudo rm -rf /Volumes/[VolumeName]/.Spotlight-V100

in the terminal window, I ran the following: sudo cvfsck -wv [VolumeName]

I re-enable the spotlight on the volume fron the Xsan admin

After four days it is still showing estimating indexing in the spotlight menu.

This is a 40tb RAID Promise with 17tb free

Feb 26, 2015 5:30 PM in response to JeffShipman

Try unmounting and remounting on the active MDC. Wait a few minutes. Check output of "mdutil -asv". Note the volume must be mounted on the active MDC for indexing to occur. A client must mount the volume after Spotlight is enabled. Note that "client" also applies to the active MDC when it is doing the indexing.

These are old but contain relevant information:

Xsan 2.x: If an Xsan volume failover occurs before Spotlight becomes active, the Backup Controller may not enable Spotli…

Xsan 2: Spotlight may take an unusually long time to index Xsan volumes - Apple Support

Feb 27, 2015 11:35 AM in response to JeffShipman

The active MDC does the indexing. It's not the fsm process that runs the volume that does the indexing, but rather Spotlight related processes (mds, mdworking, mdimport, etc) which are accessing files on the volume which the MDC has mounted as an Xsan client. The volume has to be mounted on the active MDC for indexing to work. The mount has to occur after Spotlight has been enabled on the volume.

As stated in this article:

Xsan 2.x: If an Xsan volume failover occurs before Spotlight becomes active, the Backup Controller may not enable Spotli…

"Use Xsan Admin to unmount and remount the volume on the controller that is currently hosting the volume. It may still take several minutes for Spotlight to activate."

You could also do this on the MDC (which you would have to do if it's a Yosemite MDC):

sudo xsanctl unmount VolumeName

sudo xsanctl mount VolumeName

spotlight on xsan not working for clients

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.