Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

bootcamp driver issues

okay so i installed windows to go onto an external hard drive and i can boot into it just fine with holding down the options key and selecting efi boot. Everything works fine but i have 3 problems after installing bootcamp drivers(the latest 5.1.5621) :

1) the sound doesn't work

2)Cant adjust the brightness and in setting it says disabled

3)whenever i install the intel graphics and its about to complete a blue sad face appears and says system_thread_exception_not_handled(igdkmd64.sys) but when i remove the intel folder from drivers in bootcamp, the setup runs fine bt still no brightness nor sound

Can someone please help me solve this ?

Thanks

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Jan 28, 2015 6:55 AM

18 replies

Jan 28, 2015 6:58 PM in response to Mridang

What year/model is your Mac? On preUEFI Macs, installing Windows using EFI Boot, results in Graphics and Audio issues, because preUEFI Macs expose some of the hidden devices using only the CSM-BIOS layer which an EFI boot cannot see. CSM-BIOS also hides the integrated GPU and exposes only the discrete GPU, which the EFI layer cannot manage.

Using 5.1.5621 is not a solution, if it does not support your Mac model. Please verify which version you need using Boot Camp: System requirements for Microsoft Windows operating systems - Apple Support.

Jan 29, 2015 4:24 AM in response to Mridang

Please do not post serial numbers on the forum.

From BC Info.plist

<key>PreUEFIModels</key>

<array>

<string>MacBook7</string>

<string>MacBookAir5</string>

<string>MacBookPro10</string>

<string>MacPro5</string>

<string>Macmini6</string>

<string>iMac13</string>

</array>

From How to identify MacBook Pro models - Apple Support your MBP is 8,2, so it is preUEFI.

Jan 31, 2015 6:38 AM in response to Loner T

Thank you loner t

just one more question.. i have changed the info.plist so i can make the bootable usb drive from within bootcamp but when the mac restarts it gives an error no bootable device found but when i insert the windows installation cd it recognizes and boots it.. Also when holding the option key gives "efi boot" on usb and "windows" on cd... Why is that?

Jan 31, 2015 6:52 AM in response to Mridang

1. Modifying the Info.plist addresses just the first step of creating a bootable device, but does not (and cannot address) what BCA sets to be the next boot device in the Mac NVRAM. This is derived from the Mac Model Identifier, irrespective of your current hardware and its status. This causes grief for people who have a broken built-in Optical drive.

2. You should not create a USB, if your model has a built-in Optical drive. There are a couple of Mac models, notably the 2012 models, which can support both methods. This list is very limited and BCA implements this logic by reading info.plist. Modifications can cause BCA to misbehave, as you have already observed in your case.

3. Do not use EFI boot on preUEFI models, it just brings pain. If you want to play with PCIe registers in hardware, you are more than welcome to try. Read MacRumours for guides. I personally see no benefit, except the pleasure of reverse-engineering in such attempts.

4. The DVD/CD media is booting under CSM BIOS control and has been instructed to boot in Legacy mode, hence no EFI, even though the directory exists on the USB and DVD, both. You can check that on the DVD itself.

bootcamp driver issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.