Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad 2 will not restore from recovery mode

I recently had my iPad 2 lock up on the Apple logo screen and was unable to turn it off. I was traveling at the time, so I was unable to connect it with iTunes, so I reset it by holding the sleep/wake button and the home button. This turned it off.

Once I got home, I have been following these instructions to try to restore the iPad from recovery mode:

If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

The process seems to proceed as it should - iTunes says that the iPad can't be updated and must be restored to factory settings, so I choose "Restore." It then gives me a second dialogue box that verifies that I want to Restore and Update the iPad - so I continue on.

iTunes then proceeds and displays the following messages through the process:

Extracting Software

Preparing iPad for Restore

Waiting for iPad...

Preparing iPad for restore (the iPad then displays the Apple logo with a progress bar)

Waiting for iPad...

Verifying iPad restore with Apple...

I then get the following error message in a dialogue box: The iPad "X" could not be updated. An unknown error occurred (9).

Researching this error has led me to believe that there was something preventing the iPad and iTunes from communicating with the Apple servers. I have disabled ALL of the security settings on my computer and on my wireless router and come up with the same result. I even moved to a completely different network (a neighbor's) and came up with the same result.

Any ideas of how I can move forward? I'm stumped.

iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 8.0.2

Posted on Jan 28, 2015 9:07 AM

11 replies

Jan 29, 2015 9:25 AM in response to bwelll

Hi bwelll,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

It sounds like you’ve done quite a bit of troubleshooting to try and resolve an issue restoring your iPad, and now you’re seeing an alert that’s related to communication when trying to restore the iPad in iTunes. Take a look at the article linked below, it provides more information about the alert and troubleshooting tips that you may not have already tried.

Resolve iOS update and restore errors - Apple Support

Check your security software

Related errors: 2, 4, 6, 9, 1000, 1611, 9006. Sometimes security software can prevent your device from communicating with either the Apple update server or with your device.

Check your security software and settings to make sure that they aren't preventing a connection to the Apple servers.

Cheers,

-Jason

Jan 29, 2015 9:44 AM in response to Jason L

Jason, thanks for the reply.

I actually have gone through that article already - I have verified that my version of iTunes is up to date and I have disabled all of my security software and settings. Plus I've done this on two different computers and on two different networks (to eliminate the possibility that there was something blocking the communication in my router), and I have received the same result each time.

I have tested that basic communication is operable through the ping test.

I have not gone through the troubleshooting of verifying that specific ports are working. However, since I have tried to restore the iPad on different computers and on different networks, I feel like the possibility of this being the problem is fairly remote.

Might you have any additional suggestions?

-Brant

Jan 31, 2015 4:41 PM in response to bwelll

Brant,

I have the EXACT same problem with my iPad 2 and have been trying to fix it for the last week to no avail. I called Apple support yesterday and they told me it sounds like a hardware problem and to take it to an Apple store. I think it's a software problem personally. I followed all of the suggestions as you did and they resulted in the same error 9 after "verifying iPad restore with Apple".

I also get the same results when I try to sync/update my iPad on my Windows 7 machine. So it seems to be an iPad issue. I've been updating my iPad when they come up with a new version. Maybe that's not a good idea. ;-(

I did update my iMac to OS X Yosemite that I use to sync my iPad not long before the problem began last weekend. But, as I said I get the same error 9 after the "verifying iPad restore with Apple" message. It appears it is unable to "verify the iPad restore"...not seeing the server? Did they change the server IP? DHCP problems? I can successfully ping most of the apple links I've found that I thought might be used for verification, but who knows which one it's looking for. And, I've found 3 or 4 that timed out...no connection. I'd like to know the handshake, etc., it's using to verify the iPad restore with Apple. I don't think the process is working correctly.

Still searching for a solution.

-Jay

Feb 4, 2015 9:04 AM in response to bwelll

A final update on my issue -

I made an appointment at the Genius bar at my local Apple Store for my iPad. They plugged it into their Macbook Air and the same "error (9)" message came up. Their conclusion is that it is a hardware failure and the only thing they could do was replace the iPad. $249 for a replacement iPad 2 with a 90 day warranty or I could buy a new one at full price and get the full warranty.

Philly_Phan, This iPad was never jailbroken.

Jay, I hope that you are able to come to a better resolution with your device.

A life of less than 5 years for a device like this is fairly disappointing. I don't think I will be replacing it with either an iPad 2 or a new device - that just doesn't seem like a smart purchase.

-Brant

Feb 4, 2015 2:24 PM in response to bwelll

Brant,

I agree it's not a good investment. I have never had a problem with my iPad 2 until now. I believe it had something to do with a recent update that has it hung up. Thanks for the feedback. I don't plan to take mine to the Apple store. I'm a computer tech and I like to use computers I can fix myself. When I called the Apple number I was on hold for 22 minutes before they took my call (the recording said the wait was ~10 minutes), then after listening to my problem she went away for 15 more minutes. When she returned she said she would put me online with a senior technician. Then, she returned to the phone ~10 minutes later and told me that the senior tech said that since I have the same symptoms on both my iMAC and a Microsoft Windows machine and I had already followed Apple's recommended protocol for a solution (disabling firewall, antivirus, swapping USB cables, etc.) it is a hardware problem with the iPad 2 and I would have to take it to an Apple store. Dead end.

I'm looking at the Samsung and Google tablets.

Thanks again!

Jay

Dec 2, 2015 1:26 PM in response to John Davidson1

Yup, I've had the exact same problem with same outcome, they blamed a hardware failure likely due a bad sector that was pending failing and the stress caused of updating the software tipped it over the edge... Seems bizarre. Might try another update with the next release of iOS and see if that does the trick, not holding my breath though!

Jan 29, 2016 10:54 AM in response to bwelll

This has to be a software problem. My iPad 2 was working 100% fine until the last update (iOS 9.2) and now it is stuck in recovery mode. I have also followed all of the troubleshooting scenarios I can find and I know if I take it to a "genius" they are going to try tell me its a hardware problem. I am ****** and feel very ripped off that Apple is taking advantage of so many loyal users. And now instead of owning their problem they are trying to sweep it under the rug.

iPad 2 will not restore from recovery mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.