Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I LOVE iWeb. Any profissional Graphic Designer that uses iWeb?

Hello to all my fellow iWeb lovers.

I am a professional freelancer graphic designer, and I used Dreamweaver + Flash like since 7 years ago.
I just discovered iWeb and I am AMAZED how the simplicity and intuitiveness of this marvelous humanized Apple software.
If you debate with any Nerd or Geek he will try to convince you that iWeb is for amateurs, not a "real" software and you need always the correct tool, bla bla bla. They are always focused on PURE technology - pure techies.

Being a graphic designer myself, I see CLEARLY I can develop websites to small/medium business owners, faster, easier, and more HAPPY that another pure techies software. At the moment I am developing a Joomla website for a client, of course on those specific situations I can't use iWeb, but for majority of websites situations I see clearly that iWeb does the job wonderfully.

I made this post to share my happiness about the discovery about this brilliant very humanized app, and to ask if there are any fellows here who are graphic designers too using iWeb. I searched a bit, and I don't see any graphic designer assuming their love to this software to conceiving websites.

I am a graphic designer that in this moment is in love with iWeb.

Thanks

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Error on Software Update.

Posted on Jan 28, 2015 11:12 AM

37 replies

Jan 28, 2015 11:24 AM in response to Corier

Welcome to 2006.

As of 2011 iWeb is dead…

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IWeb:

"Apple ceased development in 2011."

It's great you love this application, but seriously, do not use it for anything that is important.

See the many posts here from users who are having a tough time moving away from it.

There are other options that haven't been abandoned.

http://www.softpress.com/freeway-pro/

http://realmacsoftware.com/rapidweaver

http://muse.adobe.com

More options…

http://alternativeto.net/software/iweb/?platform=mac

Jan 28, 2015 11:47 AM in response to Corier

Corier wrote:

Maybe one day Apple relaunches it.

Maybe Apple will relaunch Appleworks too… oh wait they made iWork instead & abandoned the old document formats. Maybe I'll get a pony for Christmas…

I'm not sure Apple needs to relaunch anything - have you seen Squarespace and the many other online site building software? The have so many benefits…

• You can edit websites without being tied to one Mac.
  • You can edit websites on iOS (kinda important for many Apple users).
  • You can make responsive websites.
  • You can use new standards (HTML5, CSS3, new javascript libraries…), not ones from 4 years ago.
  • The text in your web pages does not get turned into 'unsearchable images' (like iWeb does if you pick the incorrect settings - terrible for search engines).

How about you try some of the other apps before deciding that iWeb is the future of the internet.

Corier wrote:

Please give me 5 examples "live or die" cannot make with iWeb?

Can you rephrase that, I don't understand what it means, sorry.

Jan 28, 2015 11:55 AM in response to Corier

Apple re-launching iWeb is very unlikely to happen. They only released iWeb in the first place because of firstly .Mac and then secondly MobileMe. Once they closed down MobileMe, they discontinued iWeb too as there was no need for it.

Apple is primarily a manufacturer of computers and mobile phones etc., and not web design software, which is probably why they ditched iWeb to let other companies who are primarily involved in web design get on with it.

Of course you can create any kind of site with iWeb - you might have to find third party workarounds for a lot of things, but as long as the app still works, then you can use it, but there will probably come a time when you can't.

I don't think that at this late stage, you will find any graphic designers who are using iWeb for the first time - using an unsupported product for the first time to create business sites is not such a good idea and there is other software out there that can be used as an iWeb replacement and is being actively developed, such as EverWeb created by Rage software as a direct replacement for iWeb. It is very similar to iWeb in look and feel and can do everything iWeb can, but from within the app, such as drop down menus, contact forms, PayPal integration etc., all without having to use any third party workarounds.

Take a look atEverWeb here and see what you think before continuing to use iWeb. There will come a time when iWeb will not longer work with future OS updates and some folks who have upgraded to Yosemite are having problems with iWeb currently.

Jan 28, 2015 12:34 PM in response to Ethmoid

Yes, i believe Apple will discontinue iWeb but i hope they develop a great substitute. Maybe Yes, maybe Not, with so many online offers to create easy a simple website, maybe doesn't make sense to exist that app. EverWeb seems to be a good substitute, but apple softwares have they own magic..
I love iWeb.

Jan 28, 2015 3:57 PM in response to Corier

Limitations of iWeb

1. There is no Contact form built into the app and you need a 3rd party workaround.

2. Drop down menus are available for most sites these days and you cannot do this in iWeb and never have been able to - 3rd party workaround again.

3. iWeb does not support PHP.

4. There is no way of password protecting specific pages of your site via iWeb - this needs to be done via your server.

5. No PayPal or other payment option integration. You definitely need this if you are building business sites - 3rd party integration needed, whereas EverWeb has a PayPal widget in the application itself that you can use, along with a contact form widget and a drop down menu widget.

Sure there are lots more things that other can chip in with.

Jan 28, 2015 4:04 PM in response to Corier

Have you bothered to read any of these posts? No - Apple has already DISCONTINUED iWeb - it no longer exists and was discontinued 4 years ago by Apple. Please note - not be to discontinued, but already discontinued.

They won't re-launch it again, because they have no need to - iCloud took over from MobileMe and did not offer web hosting, so they did not need iWeb, so it is highly unlikely that they will ever develop it again and re-launch it.

Accept that however much you might like iWeb it is a dead in the water discontinued product and you need to move on - go back to Dreamweaver and continue to use that. Try Joomla and WordPress again and even try out Joomla and then go and check out EverWeb and see if this fits the bill for you.

You are bound to find something else that you like, but iWEB HAS ALREADY BEEN DISCONTINUED AND IS NOT SOLD OR SUPPORTED BY APPLE.

Do you get and understand this now? I hope so, because it can only be said in a limited numbers of ways.

Jan 28, 2015 4:39 PM in response to Ethmoid

Well, I am not here to discuss English articulation. When I said "Apple will descontinue" I was referring on not being even able to access the application. Yes, Apple already discontinued iWeb, I already knew that. Who knows if Apple in the future will substitute iWeb with an better software, I hope that.

Moving on, if there are any graphic designers here using iWeb please share your experience - what in fact this post was originally written.

Thanks

P.S - In case I was not clear, I love iWeb.

I LOVE iWeb. Any profissional Graphic Designer that uses iWeb?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.