Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I best transfer over 3,000 photos and 125 short videos from my iPad Mini 2 (iOS 8) in "Photos" to my IMac without uploading them to iCloud or any wireless net service (I wish to directly transfer the files via a USB cable, not AirDrop)?

I'm confused as to the procedure of transferring a large amount of photos and videos from my iPad Mini (iOS 8) to my iMac (latest Yosemite OS) without using wifi or Bluetooth or uploading to iCloud - I wish to transfer the files using a simple USB connection alone - I expect I have to use iTunes unless you know of another procedure - if I must use iTunes - can you explain the file transfer procedure? Thanks!

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), 32 GB - Fusion Drive

Posted on Jan 28, 2015 12:58 PM

5 replies

Jan 28, 2015 4:07 PM in response to Cerebrogasm

Using iTunes to transfer files:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4094?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

ttp://www.accellion.com/solutions/mobile-enablement/mobile-file-sharing

Start itunes. Plug in you iPad.

iPad to your computer via USB

-- "iExplorer's disk mounting features allow you to use your iPhone, iPod or iPad like a USB flash drive."

http://www.macroplant.com/iexplorer/

Jan 28, 2015 5:09 PM in response to Cerebrogasm

I am unaware of being able to transfer photos using File Sharing. As far as I know, that's not possible. I suppose it would be possible if the photos are in another app that uses file sharing, but I import the photos to my Mac in iPhoto (or Image Capture or Aperture if you have it) using the USB cable that came with the iPad. It is very easy to do.

You can read more here.

Import photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your Mac or Windows PC - Apple Support

Jan 28, 2015 5:04 PM in response to Cerebrogasm

Cerebrogasm wrote:

I'm confused as to the procedure of transferring a large amount of photos and videos from my iPad Mini (iOS 8) to my iMac (latest Yosemite OS) without using wifi or Bluetooth or uploading to iCloud - I wish to transfer the files using a simple USB connection alone - I expect I have to use iTunes unless you know of another procedure - if I must use iTunes - can you explain the file transfer procedure? Thanks!

You don't have to use iTunes. Connect the phone, open Image Capture and either import directly, or designate an app to receive them. It can be iPhoto if you want but any photo management app will do. I use Google's Picasa, for example.

How do I best transfer over 3,000 photos and 125 short videos from my iPad Mini 2 (iOS 8) in "Photos" to my IMac without uploading them to iCloud or any wireless net service (I wish to directly transfer the files via a USB cable, not AirDrop)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.