Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture slow after 10.10.2 update

Aperture has been much less stable under Yosemite than previous systems, with occasional freezes. After upgrading to 10.10.2, it takes considerably longer for Aperture to load.

Any thoughts on how to address this?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Jan 28, 2015 2:37 PM

8 replies

Jan 29, 2015 5:34 PM in response to jas

Having this as well but I'd call it quite severe. Pre 10.10.2 everything was working just fine.

Now, even with a new Library the whole system hangs for about 10 seconds when the Dock icon is clicked.

Now takes over 20 seconds to load the new Library before the App starts to open

Once the App is open, the Beachball spins for just over a minute before it starts to actually open the library and display images.

Far sight away from the previous version of OS X where it was all up and running within 2 seconds of clicking the Dock icon (just tested on macbook running 10.10.1)

Besides workflow, am worried that the libraries may be getting corrupted or images damaged.

Jan 29, 2015 5:44 PM in response to dancarson

Well, I may have solved this, although I'm not sure why the solution worked. I re-downloaded Aperture from the Mac App Store and now everything seems to be back to normal.

Note that to re-download an application from the App Store, you must first move the application from the Applications folder to the trash, otherwise, the App Store will only allow you to "Open" the application. After moving Aperture to the trash, open the App Store, select Purchases, and then Reinstall Aperture.

Hope this helps.

Jan 29, 2015 5:58 PM in response to dancarson

Nothing seems to have change in terms of libraries, preferences, plugins, etc. It also feels slightly faster than pre-Yosemite, though this may be wishful thinking.

I'd also suggest repairing permissions and clearing caches after installing a new system or application, e.g., using a utility such as Cocktail's Pilot feature - http://www.maintain.se/cocktail/

Good luck. Let me know if it works for you.

Jan 29, 2015 7:14 PM in response to jas

Hi Jas,

Many thanks again for your help on this. Very much appreciated.

Think we are finally back to normal with going through your last suggestions a few times.

- After a new Aperture Install

- Did a restart to clear caches and memory (have 32gb on the iMac).

- Option / Command Open of Aperture to Repair permissions. This loaded Aperture faster than the normal loading process, including the repair.

- Option / Command Open of Aperture to Repair Database.

- Opened Aperture again, still no change at all

- Option Open Aperture and created a brand new library with nothing in it.

- Still loaded very slowly and Beachball spinning

- Opened Aperture again with new Library, no change

- Option / Command Open of Aperture to Repair permissions with new library. Whole thing opened very quickly

- Restart Computer

- Option Open Aperture to load up my working library. The initial load was slow but no more Beachball

- Option / Command Open of Aperture to Repair permissions on working library

- Finally we are back to normal.

Fingers crossed we are good to go for a while.

Obviously something did get impacted with 10.10.2 somewhere.

Thank you again very much.

Jan 30, 2015 10:35 AM in response to dancarson

Well, I guess this proves that persistence can pay off. It will be interesting to see if our Aperture problems reappear after a time.

As you probably know, Apple announced last June ago that it will stop supporting Aperture with the release of Yosemite and Apple's soon to be released new photo app "Photos," which is supposed to replace both Aperture and iPhoto. Since I know Aperture and it does what I need very well, I'd like to keep using Aperture as long as possible. I suppose, however, that I'll also be experimenting with both Photos and Lightroom soon to see if I can move away from Aperture.

In case it may be of interest to you, I'm a "serious amateur" photographer, starting many years ago with Kodachrome/Ektachrome and only relatively recently moving to digital. I do most of my initial processing of RAW (Nikon NEF) images in DXO Graphics Pro, export images in JPG format, and then import these images into Aperture. I do this because of some superior features in DXO, including better RAW translation (I did a a lot of comparison testing of DXO, Aperture, and Lightroom) and certain features such as the new ClearView. Thus, I use Aperture primarily for final process of (JPG) photos.

Keep in touch. Hope you have good shooting and processing!

Aperture slow after 10.10.2 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.