Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Touch ID problem with 8.1.3

recently updated my iphone ios 8.1.3 5S but in doing so the touch ID stopped working altogether.

I can not use my fingerprint to unlock. either in the appstore or third-party apps

and try to erase the traces to re-scan. But when trying to enter a new trace the touch does not scan my fingerprint

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.1.3, My iphone is not jailbreaked

Posted on Jan 28, 2015 4:07 PM

27 replies

Jan 30, 2015 7:41 AM in response to Fedelopezf

Hello Fedelopezf,

I see from your post that the Touch ID sensor on your iPhone is not recognizing when you put your finger on it. To troubleshoot this I'd like you to please follow the steps outlined below.

Get help with Touch ID

1. Make sure that you're using the latest version of iOS.
  2. Make sure that your fingers and the Home button are clean and dry.*
  3. Cover the Home button completely. Don't tap too quickly, don't press down hard, and don't move your finger while Touch ID is scanning. Make sure that your finger touches the metal ring around the Home button.
  4. If you're using a case or screen protector, make sure it doesn't cover the Home button or the surrounding ring. If it does, remove the case or screen protector and try again.
  5. Tap Settings > Touch ID & Passcode and make sure that iPhone Unlock or iTunes & App Store is on. Also make sure that you've enrolled one or more fingerprints.
  6. Try enrolling a different finger.
  7. If you can't enroll any of your fingers, take your device to an Apple Retail Store, Apple Authorized Service Provider, or contact AppleCare for help.

* Moisture, lotions, sweat, oils, cuts, or dry skin might affect fingerprint recognition. Certain activities can also temporarily affect fingerprint recognition, including exercising, showering, swimming, cooking, or other conditions or changes that affect your fingerprint.

Use Touch ID on iPhone and iPad - Apple Support

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities!

Cheers,

Alex H.

Feb 2, 2015 11:31 AM in response to juanj020

Hey juanj020,

My problem is a little bit different than yours.. In my case, when I put my finger to assign a new fingerprint after the reset, it doesn't detects my finger (two taps on home button doesn't bring the screen down also).

I called apple support here in Brazil today and they asked me to reset the phone.

But it doesn't worked, so I'll have to take it to one of apple resellers here. My iPhone 6 was bought in Jan/24 and I'll have to wait 20 business day to have a new one.. =S

Feb 3, 2015 5:26 PM in response to Fedelopezf

I'm having the same problem on my iPad Air 2 after updating to 8.1.3.

TouchID no longer works for any of my registered fingers - no message is given (e.g. "Try Again") when attempting to unlock or make purchases using TouchID. It's as if the sensor is not even registering that a finger has been placed on top of it.

I've reset the iPad a number of times as well as turned off TouchID and turned it back on for different functions and still am not able to use TouchID. This problem only started happening after updating my iPad to iOS 8.1.3.

Feb 12, 2015 1:13 PM in response to Fedelopezf

I have exactly the same problem since updating to 8.1.3.

Turning power off doesn't fix the problem. hard reboot fixes the problem for a short while as does DFU and restore. It eventually comes back after a few hours.

Apart from finger print sensor not working, add fingerprint option is greyed out. Phone also shuts down intermittently now with 20 to 40% battery left and requires reset to boot up.

Never had a problem with any upgrade before. First time and it's really annoying.

Feb 12, 2015 1:52 PM in response to Stuart Dapples

Stuart, I have not had the issue come back. But wondered if you had a condition that I did. When I was able to get into the phone, applications forgot their userID and passwords, making me enter them each time. Is that a condition you are seeing? I called one of the 3rd party app developers and they had a rash of calls after the 8.1.3 update with the same issue.

Before I did the hard reset, I closed ALL applications. Now they seem to open ok and remember their userID and passwords while doing so.

Feb 14, 2015 12:29 PM in response to principino1984

Hi principino1984,

I've now fixed my other problems, 5S intermittently shutting down when I have full battery, or freezing, by completely disabling touch ID. A pain I know, but not as annoying as the other problems.

In my (humble) opinion, 8.1.3 completely stuffed up the Touch ID feature which has caused me grief with all the other problems.

I will not enable Touch ID again until the next update.

Touch ID problem with 8.1.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.