Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is anyone else experiencing battery life issues due to iOS 8.1.3?

I know this may seem ridiculous but after having updated my iPhone 6, 64 GB to iOS 8.1.3, yesterday January 27, I noticed my battery isn't lasting anywhere near as long as it was before this.

Usually the way I use my phone by 5pm every evening, I have at least 65 - 70% battery life, today I'm at 44% and know for sure I've used it less than usual, which is why I came here.

I want to thank everyone who replies in advance.

Posted on Jan 28, 2015 3:35 PM

71 replies

Jan 29, 2015 2:24 PM in response to Random iPhone 6 User

I'm seeing the same results today, as I have yesterday, only this time I have 55%... Seems to have gone up 10%, even though I've used my phone more today than I did yesterday.

It may be that I'm unknowingly exaggerating this, but then again I have a habit of noticing very minor differences in the devices I use...

Thanks for replying you guys.

Jan 30, 2015 8:54 AM in response to Random iPhone 6 User

I noticed that the Background App Refresh (B.A.R.) option in Settings>General may be still running (although it's grey & "o")

Here's what I did:

Go into Settings> and select an App

Tap the > and if B.A.R. is faded green & "i" then you need to disable it AGAIN

I found my Chrome Browser was still using B.A.R. even though I had Globally disabled it

Go back into Settings>General>B.A.R.

Enable B.A.R.

Disable ALL the apps down the page (yes this is painful if you have a lot of apps like me)

Disable B.A.R. AGAIN

Go back to your App (from the above suggestion)

Verify B.A.R. has been disabled

ALSO

Go to Settings>General>Usage>Battery Usage

This will tell you within the last 24 hours or 7 days which Apps are using the most battery %

Jan 30, 2015 8:58 AM in response to Random iPhone 6 User

I just started to google experiences from others today, as since upgrading three mobiles from 8.1.2 -> 8.1.3 (iPhone 5, iPhone 5s and iPhone 6 Plus) all of them suddenly died overnight.

Charged this morning all from 0% -> 100% and still things don't seem to be correct anymore. Based on below pictures the phones don't go to standby anymore? I haven't used at all iPhone 5 nor iPhone 5s today whereas I made some calls with iPhone 6 Plus. All of mobile were unplugged at 100% same time this afternoon.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

First time this has happened, in case the mobiles, ALL of them, suddenly start to behave like this.

br,

P

Jan 30, 2015 11:33 AM in response to Tiammatj

To give brief idea how ALL three mobiles are behaving just few hours later from previous posting, see below new screen captures. All three mobiles have been idle except occasional check of how fast battery is draining.

iPhone 5:

User uploaded file

iPhone 5s:

User uploaded file

iPhone 6 Plus:

User uploaded file

I think I'm not going to break records battery life wise with iOS 8.1.3.... ARGH.

Jan 30, 2015 1:19 PM in response to Tiammatj

it is very frustrating, I started having the same issues after 8.1.3 update. What to do? Buttery drawn faster then ever, usage doesn't show real usage:User uploaded file

As you can see battery 76%, it was 100% 3 hrs earlier, I didnt use phone for 12 hrs!!

Whats the problem it can be? I rebooted phone and turned off everything I could to safe battery life, with no avail.

Jan 30, 2015 1:42 PM in response to Random iPhone 6 User

Problems with this update have been reported at other threads including a poster saying battery use had a bug and apple was working on it.

To see if true call apple support.

In general:

Rebooting and force quit are work arounds to clear a problem - they are not solutions to the bug itself.

Anyone having a problem after an update - even if you follow work around instructions - should report that problem as a bug to apple.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/>Apple - Feedback

If you get a crash report - send to apple with what you were doing at the time.

A program can have a bug in it for years through multiple releases. The bug is caught when a user goes down the path that triggers it.

Jan 30, 2015 1:54 PM in response to notcloudy

notcloudy wrote:

Problems with this update have been reported at other threads including a poster saying battery use had a bug and apple was working on it.

To see if true call apple support.

Every time there has been an update to iOS, going back over 7 years, a few users have reported problems of a similar nature. It isn't the update; it's something that got borked by the process of updating. I updated to 8.1.3 and my battery life is just as good as it was before the update (which was outstanding, better than any other iPhone I have owned). I've seen fewer reports with this version than with most others. So rather than look for the non-existent problem in 8.1.3, do some basic troubleshooting. Here's the best information I have seen on resolving battery life issues with iOS: http://www.overthought.org/blog/2014/the-ultimate-guide-to-solving-ios-battery-d rain

Rebooting and force quit are work arounds to clear a problem - they are not solutions to the bug itself.

No, rebooting and force quitting are not workarounds; they are solutions to solving the problem of which app is stuck using energy when it shouldn't be. Apps are interrupted by the update. Some apps do not recover gracefully from the interruption.

Jan 30, 2015 4:00 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

I was very happy with my battery performance since I have iphone 6 for a few month. I already have everything turned off on the phone that would help to save the battery life. I have tried that link you posted, and found out that my phone has a serious draining battery issues as it says after putting phone in sleep mode and turn on back to check if the time of usage and standby is different. On my phone it shows the same time of usage and standby. Now 14 hrs of standby and usage, buttery drained by 40% since it fully charged, and I barely used the phone. It never happened before.

Whats else can I do?

Jan 30, 2015 4:07 PM in response to melenga

You need to find the app that is causing the problem. If you have a Microsoft Exchange email account on the phone, turn it off (all switches) in Settings/Mail,Contacts,Calendars. Reboot the phone (hold HOME and SLEEP until an Apple logo appears). Then turn the account back on. If that doesn't resolve it repeat for your iCloud account, and any other Push accounts (Yahoo, Google, Premium Hotmail/outlook.com).

Beyond email, FaceBook is a prime suspect. Delete the account, reboot, reinstall it.

From there it's more hit-and-miss, but there is some app that is causing the drain. Standby=Usage means there is some app that is running continuously. You need to find the app, delete it, reboot, and reinstall it.

As a last restore iOS the phone using iTunes.

Is anyone else experiencing battery life issues due to iOS 8.1.3?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.