Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My "Find My Phone" location is grossly inaccurate

I have "Find My iPhone" installed on my Touch, but the location it is showing on the map is off by a mile or so. It has shown this location for over a week and it is a place I am not familiar with - in fact I think it is in the middle of a pasture. The app worked on my old 4th gen Touch, but now even it is showing in the same, wrong location, so it is not an iSO issue. What could be causing this error and is it correctable?

iPod touch (5th generation), Find My iPhone

Posted on Jan 28, 2015 7:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 4:33 PM

The Touch does not have GPS.

It uses WiFi 'geolocation' which looks for access points around it & then queries Apple's databases to see if they can calculate it's location. Obviously this is far less accurate than GPS.

There is really nothing you can do to improve it. This is a technical limitation. It should update the position when it connects to wifi & calls home to Apple, when it loses wifi signal it can no longer tell Apple where it is.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2015 4:33 PM in response to Amita4ever

The Touch does not have GPS.

It uses WiFi 'geolocation' which looks for access points around it & then queries Apple's databases to see if they can calculate it's location. Obviously this is far less accurate than GPS.

There is really nothing you can do to improve it. This is a technical limitation. It should update the position when it connects to wifi & calls home to Apple, when it loses wifi signal it can no longer tell Apple where it is.

Nov 28, 2015 4:54 PM in response to Drew Reece

This is good to know, but in this case, I'm not sure what is going on. Its been over a year now and despite the devices coming and going almost daily, the "home" location remains consistently inaccurate to the same impossible location. It can't even be a residual reading - I've NEVER been there before - it's a pasture over railroad tracks about a mile away.

These devices have at least two strong wifi points to connect with and they are nowhere near (and could not possibly reach) the spot it is saying they are at. It is just frustrating, especially since it USED to be accurate. Thanks for the info, though. I did learn something.

Nov 30, 2015 6:15 PM in response to Amita4ever

Each access point has it's own unique identifiers (it's SSID, MAC address etc). The DB that Apple (Google has it's own data) use for wifi geolocation may contain duplicates for mobile access points (cellular hotspots) which can confuse devices that only rely on wifi scans for location fixes. Some devices fail to be unique so the system has flaws (SSID's are common, MAC addresses can be cloned).

I think the best you can hope for is that Apple's DB gets updated & the issue resolves itself. I believe the option for 'submit diagnostics' in iOS will allow Apple to process the access points around you (ideally cross-referenced with GPS data on supported devices), eventually with enough data points the DB should change. It is unclear if Apple are only updating from this crowd sourced data or also using data from scans taken when Apple does it's mapping drive bye's. I suspect they also source from third party data too.

A third party GPS device can give you accurate data, but it is no use for finding a device via Find my iPhone if lost/ stolen.

Nov 30, 2015 6:29 PM in response to Drew Reece

Thanks - yeah, not much help finding it is stolen. Was already thinking that was the case just because of the wifi limitation, guess I hadn't realized exactly HOW limited it was. I've another device that has a wifi tracking device that says there are no less that 6 wifi spots it can sense nearby, but of course the are residential. What's sad is it USED to be accurate. Wonder if they had to dump their database at some point and are "rebuilding" their map, or if they went to another kind of service to process the data. *SHRUGS* Kinda sad when the more technical we get, the LESS accurate we get. Oh well.

You mentioned "Submit Diagnosis" - I don't recall seeing that anywhere. Could you give me an idea where to find this?

Anyways, regardless, I greatly appreciate your time and information.

God bless 🙂

Nov 30, 2015 9:22 PM in response to Amita4ever

Diagnostics & Usage are at the bottom of the Privacy settings if I recall correctly.

You may also need to enable the option to allow Apple access to location services in the Location Services settings > System services > Diagnostics & usage (to allow the GPS to be cross referenced). In theory that should allow them to crowd source the visible access point data. It's not clear to me how many data points they use, but if you have it active there is a chance it can get better over time.

My "Find My Phone" location is grossly inaccurate

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.