Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

8.1.3 update killed my wifi

Ok, my iPhone 4S worked fine on 8.1.2. After today's update to 8.1.3, my wifi is no longer working. The wifi button under setting is grayed out and disabled!!!

I have done a complete restore from iTunes and set it up as a new iPhone - wifi disabled and grayed out.

Restored from my backup - same thing, wifi disabled and button grayed out.

So now I have a iPhone 4S with no wifi.

Apple OS updates really ***** these days.

Anyone has the same experience with the 8.1.3 update on an iPhone 4S? Suggestions on how to fix it?

iPhone 4S, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Jan 28, 2015 7:01 PM

38 replies

Jan 28, 2015 11:28 PM in response to Frank0904

Sorry, there is no resolution in my piece here.

Maybe it is something more than the 8.1.3 update. I never got that far. I was about to update some Apps when I noticed that my phone's wifi was out. I am on 8.1.2. But I am on an iPhone 4S as you with 17 days of support left. Called Apple, they tried the network reset and instantly made an appointment to bring the phone in for exchange tomorrow.

It has to be odd that these phones are disconnecting in unison.

I would consider the freezer method but it being under warranty I wouldn't take that direction in my case.

Jan 29, 2015 2:18 AM in response to Frank0904

That ***** man. The iPhone 4S has huge problem with WiFi chip soldering and I guess thats what has happened to you.

A reflow of the chip would probably get it going again. For this you need a Hot Air Rework Soldering Station. Maybe you have some friend with some experience of soldering and electronic components that can help you reflow it.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/How+to+Fix+iPhone+4S+Wi-Fi+Grayed+Out/22167

Good luck!

Jan 29, 2015 6:42 AM in response to Charkel

Charkel wrote:

That ***** man. The iPhone 4S has huge problem with WiFi chip soldering and I guess thats what has happened to you.

A reflow of the chip would probably get it going again. For this you need a Hot Air Rework Soldering Station. Maybe you have some friend with some experience of soldering and electronic components that can help you reflow it.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/How+to+Fix+iPhone+4S+Wi-Fi+Grayed+Out/22167

Good luck!

To Frank0904, as a heads up be aware that any kind of a repair done to the phone that is not authorized by Apple will prevent you from ever getting any kind of service support in the future. Just so you know.

Jan 29, 2015 8:01 AM in response to Frank0904

Frank0904 wrote:

Yep, tried that before restoring iphone. Resetting network connections didn't help at all.

Reading other articles online suggest that my wifi is basically not working (hardware wise), but how could that be if it was working perfectly right before the 8.1.3 update.

Because the update process (not the actual software; the process by which you updated) caused excessive heat to be generated from the processor, which in turn caused the wi-fi chip to 'burn out'. This means either the processor, the wi-fi chip, or possibly both, were out of tolerance.

It's a hardware issue, not an iOS issue. If it was an iOS issue, then ALL identical devices running iOS 8.1.3 would have the same problem.

If within warranty, it should be a free replacement, assuming nothing else is wrong with the device. Otherwise, the out-of-warranty fee for an iPhone 4S is $199 USD + tax.

Jan 29, 2015 8:10 AM in response to Frank0904

Thank you all guys. I finally get it to work.

I believe that it is a software issue. Right before the 8.1.3 update, wifi is working perfectly. I put it on the table and started the update. Afterwards, the wifi went dead. The phone was sitting on a table and plugged in. So nothing could have kill the wifi. I don't believe in coincidents, my wifi chip decided to go bonkers right after I do a software update? good try Apple. You screwed up the update, so just admit it.

I read about the so called 'reflowing' the wifi chip. I don't believe heat from a blow dryer can 'reflow' anything. I gave it a try anyway, no help.

Finally, I turn on the airplane mode, then do a phone reset (home + sleep button for 10secs). Upon rebooting, I turned off airplane mode and the wifi button is enabled again. Just like that.

I hope this can help others who have experienced the same issue.

Jan 29, 2015 9:07 AM in response to Frank0904

Lucky for Frank that it worked. I just tried that with no benefit.

I did notice that I did not have 8.1.3 yet on the phone last night so I put in a bunch of hours (luckily I had a nap earlier) to backup the phone, download 8.1.3 and install, and try it again. No difference. Wi-fi is still grey.

So I have my appointment in about 2 hours and hopefully a working phone for my vacation this weekend.

Timing is everything. This one I guess timed itself well.

P.S. I guess Apple doesn't have much confidence in its products since Applecare can not go beyond 2 years. Sad. We have Blackberry users with phones of substantially more work years on them.

Jan 29, 2015 9:15 AM in response to Charkel

Charkel wrote:

Although the phone is already OOW and therefor he gets no support anyways.

You still have the ability to receive out of warranty, or post-warranty support. While telephone support costs money, you can still make appointments at the Genius Bar and have the device checked. If something is wrong, you can purchase an out of warranty replacement for a significantly reduced cost from that of a new device. OOW replacements come with a 90 day warranty.

Once the device has been opened and/or serviced by someone other than Apple, the post-warranty support is voided.

Jan 29, 2015 10:42 AM in response to Frank0904

Frank0904 wrote:

Thank you all guys. I finally get it to work.

I believe that it is a software issue. Right before the 8.1.3 update, wifi is working perfectly. I put it on the table and started the update. Afterwards, the wifi went dead. The phone was sitting on a table and plugged in. So nothing could have kill the wifi. I don't believe in coincidents, my wifi chip decided to go bonkers right after I do a software update? good try Apple. You screwed up the update, so just admit it.

I read about the so called 'reflowing' the wifi chip. I don't believe heat from a blow dryer can 'reflow' anything. I gave it a try anyway, no help.

Finally, I turn on the airplane mode, then do a phone reset (home + sleep button for 10secs). Upon rebooting, I turned off airplane mode and the wifi button is enabled again. Just like that.

I hope this can help others who have experienced the same issue.

So, in other words, what you did was essentially reset the connection for the wi-fi, just like the article advised. If it was the iOS, that wouldn't have fixed it. It was some sort of setting issue.

The iOS cannot cause the wi-fi to gray out permanently. It doesn't work that way.

Jan 31, 2015 9:08 AM in response to TJBUSMC1973

Since updating iOS 8 my office voice mails would not open on my any iOS device and Apple is still keep ignoring the fix the issue.

Issue still exist with iOS 8.1.3.

I decided to switch everything windows based and got a brand new Microsoft Surface Pro 3 and Samsung Android phone. Everything is working as expected now.

Not going back to ignorant Apple anymore. Sorry Apple you lost me and not coming back since I met Surface Pro.

I hope apple works with its customers and fixes the problems they are having not the problems Apple creating!

Jan 31, 2015 9:48 AM in response to eroltopkaya

Funny, I have no issue with any of my voicemails whatsoever. And your voicemails are usually a carrier-side issue, not an Apple side issue.

Use whatever product you want. No one here cares a single iota what brand of product that you use. And since you're not using Apple products anymore, then I'll assume you don't have a technical question about an Apple product.

Good luck and goodbye.

Jan 31, 2015 12:38 PM in response to TJBUSMC1973

I think you didn't read my post clearly. I said office voice mails. I didn't say iPhone voice mails. (The voice mail you receive to your office phone from Exchange) I am not the only one have this problem. Everyone who receives voice mails to home phone or office phone your their iPhone have same issue.

First you should learn to read what I am saying.

I contacted to Apple about this issue they didn't give a **** about said its not their issue. Thats why it was working with iOS7 and not with iOS8 because they got rid of the encryption that exchange was using. now iOS8 doesn't open the voice mails because doesn't know how to decrypt encrypted messages from Exchange.

I am glad your are Apple user they always need people like you.

You must be working for Apple.

I use any product that works for me. When stops or doesn't do what I want than bye bye.

Doesn't matter what brand.

Jan 31, 2015 12:54 PM in response to eroltopkaya

eroltopkaya wrote:

I think you didn't read my post clearly. I said office voice mails. I didn't say iPhone voice mails. (The voice mail you receive to your office phone from Exchange) I am not the only one have this problem. Everyone who receives voice mails to home phone or office phone your their iPhone have same issue.

First you should learn to read what I am saying.

I contacted to Apple about this issue they didn't give a **** about said its not their issue. Thats why it was working with iOS7 and not with iOS8 because they got rid of the encryption that exchange was using. now iOS8 doesn't open the voice mails because doesn't know how to decrypt encrypted messages from Exchange.

I am glad your are Apple user they always need people like you.

You must be working for Apple.

I use any product that works for me. When stops or doesn't do what I want than bye bye.

Doesn't matter what brand.

That's why I said USUALLY a carrier side issue. Perhaps you should learn to read?

And I have no issues with any of the messaging features of my iPhone, and neither do any of the people that I support, all using various models of iPhones. Perhaps your IT guys needs some more training?

And Apple was right; it's not their issue. It's a third-party issue. Because the third-parties are the ones that are responsible for making sure that their services/products remain compatible with the iPhone & iOS. Apple provides all third-party developers beta access to the iOS. If they fail to update their systems to remain compatible, that's a third party issue. Not an Apple issue.

No, I don't work for Apple. Apple works for me.

Buy whatever you want. Again, no one here cares... at all.

8.1.3 update killed my wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.