Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is Chrome in Windows 7 Displaying Video Differently?

I'm producing guitar instruction videos using an infinite white background, with the goal of displaying them on YouTube and on my website. I crop the left and right parts of my footage to get rid of unwanted things in the periphery of the shot, which reveals a white background I generated.

Everything looks good in FCPX and, once uploaded to YouTube, on my Firefox and Chrome browsers in OSX. But in boot camp on the Chrome browser (not Firefox), the masking appears grey. See screenshots to compare the Firefox and Chrome versions, both taken in Windows 7 using bootcamp.

I've also included a screenshot of the video scopes, which I don't really know how to use beyond it helping me to overexpose my highlights past "100" in order to get a pure white background. I don't even know what "100" means, or why the scale goes to 120.

Is the fact that the white background in my footage is around "120" while my masking is "100" the problem? Isn't "100" already pure white?

Thanks for your help,

Rob

User uploaded file

Chrome Browser w/Grey masking. Ugh!

User uploaded file

Firefox Browser w/White masking. Niiiice!

User uploaded file

Video Scope showing masking at 100 and background of footage at 120.

Mac Pro (Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), Graphics Card: GTX 980

Posted on Jan 28, 2015 10:58 PM

8 replies

Jan 29, 2015 11:44 AM in response to Karsten Schlüter

Man, I love this forum. Thank you Tom and Karsten. Karsten, that tutorial was very enlightening. I've obviously been breaking the law with my super-white levels, and while some browsers can handle it, Chrome in Windows 7 gamma-corrects the whole video, resulting in my 100-level whites being reduced to grey.

So now I need to figure out a workflow for creating my infinite white background. I can't just boost my highlights to 100 (instead of 120), because the white backdrop in my footage isn't completely uniform--there are subtle differences in brightness due to somewhat uneven lighting, which results in patches of grey. I need to completely over-expose the backdrop in order to get uniform white.

Here's my solution--tell me if you think this will work. I jack up my highlights so that the whole background is at least 100 (and much of it is illegal). But then I apply the Broadcast Safe effect to bring the values back to 100, effectively doing the same thing that a limiter does in audio production (which I'm more familiar with). Now since FCPX applies color correction AFTER effects are applied, I need to either create a compound clip first, or, it sounds like a less cumbersome approach is to add an adjustment layer and apply the Broadcast Safe effect to it.

I downloaded RT Adjustment Layer Title, and it appears to work. The video looks good in FCPX. However, I'm concerned that in the vector scope, the background values don't appear as uniform as in my generated white background--it seems to occupy around 99-100 instead of being uniformly 100. Attached is a screen shot.

I'm currently uploading a test video to YouTube to see how things look in Win7 Chrome browser, but am curious you think I should seek another solution, a harder limiter so to speak, that will bring the footage background to a uniform 100 value.

User uploaded file

Jan 30, 2015 6:54 AM in response to Srmaximo

Shoot. I uploaded a broadcast-safe version of the video to YouTube and tested it in Windows 7 chrome browser and got the same grey background problem that I had originally. What else could possibly be causing this?

One thing that doesn't make sense to me is, if there is gamma correction being applied to the video that darkens the white background, wouldn't my black shirt appear darker too, instead of lighter?

Jan 30, 2015 10:38 AM in response to Karsten Schlüter

A gamma curve effects the whole image, lifted by the mids and will effect everything except pure black, which your jacket isn't.

OK, if it's a curve then that makes sense. The highs are cut, but the mids are boosted.

but has the white of your mask the same color as the white of your bg?

Good question. I used to create masks by doing Generator-->Solids-->Whites and then selecting "Bright White" in the Generator tab of the inspector. But the mask in question was created in Motion so that I could create my own generator and eliminate a step (I'm making lots of videos). I'm trying another test video right now using the old generator workflow instead of the motion-created generator to see if I screwed something up (it's the only time I've ever used Motion).

But back to your question--how do I tell if the white of my mask is the same color? As you can see from the waveform screenshot above, even after applying "Broadcast Safe" to project, the background of my footage gives different results than the mask. So there is something different about it according to the scope.

Incidentally, it appears that others have identified this different way of Chrome treating whites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXoilak-M7M

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/uWwb_2xRItU

However, I don't see a solution anywhere.

Why is Chrome in Windows 7 Displaying Video Differently?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.