Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stop/Pause iMessage updates in Messages app when closed?

Hey, all.

(This is specifically referring to the Messages app on the OS side...NOT the Messages app on iOS/iPhone/iPad.)

I'm loving having my iMessages accessible on my laptop/MacMini while I'm working or whatever. ...but, I've come into an annoying (and at times, embarrassing) discovery: Even if you close out of the Messages app, if you receive a new iMessage...the app will start itself up and display it for whoever is looking at your screen.

This is not good. When I'm at work, I don't want the Messages app popping up every few minutes when I get a text. ...especially when my boss is looking at something on my system, and my girlfriend decides to send me a "love" note. ... ... Yeah... Props at work, but I don't share. haha

How the **** do you get it to stop updating on the OS app when the Message app is closed?

I'm running systems with both Mountain Lion and Yosemite. Same experience on both. Help?

Thanks in advance!

-=R=-

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Jan 29, 2015 3:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2015 6:52 AM

Hi SquireCast,

I'm sorry to hear you are having these issues with Messages on your Macs. If Messages keeps automatically launching when you receive an incoming message after it has been quit, you may want to make sure the following preference is selected in Messages > Preferences:

Indicate that you’re not available for chatting when you quit Messages: Select “When I quit Messages, set my status to Offline.”

Messages (Yosemite): Set your status

Regards,

- Brenden

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 31, 2015 6:52 AM in response to SquireCast

Hi SquireCast,

I'm sorry to hear you are having these issues with Messages on your Macs. If Messages keeps automatically launching when you receive an incoming message after it has been quit, you may want to make sure the following preference is selected in Messages > Preferences:

Indicate that you’re not available for chatting when you quit Messages: Select “When I quit Messages, set my status to Offline.”

Messages (Yosemite): Set your status

Regards,

- Brenden

Stop/Pause iMessage updates in Messages app when closed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.