Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spotlight on yosemite freezes/hangs

Hi,

I have been using Yosemite for a while now on my Macbook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013) and everything was good until today.

When I press command-space to open Spotlight:

1. Spotlight opens

2. When I type something to search works fine

3. When clicking on the item, a spinning wheel comes up, spotlight stops working, then disappears without anything happening.

When I try to open spotlight again, then not type anything, a spinning wheel will come out. When I open Activity Monitor it shows that Spotlight has stopped responding, see picture below:

User uploaded file

I tried installing the new update (10.10.2), but still hangs.

I tried to reindex, still the same.

I have tried searching high and low, but still its not working.

Any ideas please?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Jan 29, 2015 3:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2015 3:04 AM

go to Preferences/com.apple.systemuiserver.plist and delete that. Then log out and back in or restart.

8 replies

May 6, 2015 9:14 AM in response to qu1xs1lv3r

Hi!

I have the same symptoms on a same machine like qu1xs1lv3r's (MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013)).

I installed Yosemite 3 months ago. After a while it started to hang until a 'sudo reboot' was issued. I thought it was because I copied several plist files (for example the login keychain) from Mavericks.

When this hanging is happening I can use several software like my Windows in VMWare Fusion or an already opened Terminal window. Skype is always giving me the beach ball. Sometimes this happens after right after boot, sometimes it takes like 1 or 2 hours to get this 'hanging'.

I reinstalled the whole system (of course formatted the drive before) with no success. After the foruth full install everything was okay for 2 months until yesterday when the problem came back.

I tried to find the answer in the system logs but of course that was pointless. I tried to fix the permissions, do the PRAM reset, verified the disk and cleared the kext cache - of course every tool said everything's fine.

I can attach the logs or sysdiagnose output if anyone from Apple is here to resolve the issue.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thank you!

Best wishes,

Viktor

Jun 19, 2015 2:40 AM in response to qu1xs1lv3r

I have a MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2009) 2,53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

I have had this same problem for a while now and I have tried everything suggested everywhere...

Finally I came accross: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6805051#27579211

Removing the files /var/db/CoreDuet/coreduetd.db*

coreduetd.db

coreduetd.db-shm

coreduetd.db-wal

and rebooting worked for me, I have tried everything else suggested everywhere but this actually worked.

Spotlight on yosemite freezes/hangs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.