Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airplay and iOS 8.1.3

We use ipads and apple tv, allowing students to present their work on the active board. However, after upgrading the software to iOS 8.1.3 on some of the ipads, they are no longer able to connect via airplay, while it still works in those ipads, that are not upgraded.

Is this a bug in the new edition of iOS, or are other issues to consider?

iPad Air Wi-Fi, iOS 8.1.3, Airplay

Posted on Jan 29, 2015 6:07 AM

7 replies

Jan 29, 2015 9:04 AM in response to ErlaNAD

When my apple tv 3 with newest firmware 7.0.3 is in standby and on my iphone 6 with iOS 8.1.3 I choose the apple tv to play it won't play. It takes 5 seconds and the apple tv entry disappears. The music is played on the iphone. I have to try about 5 times. after that the music is played over apple tv. This is not the case, if the apple tv never is in stand by (standby off). This was not the case with iOS 7.

I hope they will fix this soon. Until then, I leave my apple tv turned on.

Feb 2, 2015 9:27 AM in response to ErlaNAD

I upgraded from IO7 to IOS8.1.3 at the weekend and had a similar problem. Airplay icon appeared, but when selected, after a few seconds the screen froze or went black. Sound continued to work. Intermittently, the icon was not even there.

I tried a complete, clean install, deleting all my apps (*sigh*). This appeared to resolve the issue, but an hour later was back to square one with a frozen screen.

SORT IT OUT APPLE!!!!

Feb 16, 2015 9:23 AM in response to David Losada

I send this as a bug report:

Dear Sirs,

I want to report a bug:

subject: airplay on apple tv 3 is not working, when apple tv is in sleep

Probably since firmware version 7 of apple tv.

Situation:

Apple TV 3 reset to „restore“

Firmware 7.03

Bluetooth off

„Sleep after“ 15 minutes

audio connected via digital audio out

hdmi connected to panasonic tv

Connected via network cable to apple airport extreme Modell A1408 Firmware 7.6.4

apple airport extreme connected via network cable to modem/WAN

iphone 6 Firmware 8.1.3 connected to airport extreme via wifi

scenario;

apple tv 3 is in sleep after 15 minutes

take iphone

start iphone app music or “fstream" to listen to internet radio

select and activate an internet radio stream in "fstream"

activate control center

tap on airplay

select "apple tv", the blue marker indicates "apple tv" selected

no sound from apple tv

after 3 seconds, the blue marker goes back on top of the list to "iPhone"

select "apple tv" again, the blue marker indicates "apple tv" selected

no sound from apple tv

after 3 seconds, the blue marker goes back on top of the list to "iPhone"

and so on…

The control center on iphone shows the "apple tv" in the device list and then that entry disappears for some seconds and then is shown again.

sometimes there is not even an airplay button in the control center

A Panasonic TV is connected with the apple tv 3 via hdmi.

I turn on the tv and select apple tv as input. The screen is black.

I take the apple tv remote and press "menu"

The apple tv home screen appears.

take iphone

start iphone app music or “fstream"

select and activate an internet radio stream in "fstream"

activate control center

tap on airplay

select "apple tv", the blue marker indicates "apple tv" selected

Now there is sound from apple tv

Same behavior with iphone music app.

Same behavior with ipad air 2

When I get a connection then it is playing continuously without interrupts.

When I set apple tv 3 setting „sleep after“ to "never", the apple tv was working well for 3 weeks!

With Bang&Olufsen Beolit-12 connected to airport extreme via wifi there has never any problem with airplay.

Since apple tv does not play with airplay from sleep mode, I activate the apple tv 3 with the remote. It is wotking then. After about a week like that, the apple tv 3 is not even shown in the list of aiplay devices in the phone, when apple tv 3 is in sleep mode.

Best regards Mathias from Germany

Feb 16, 2015 10:41 AM in response to ErlaNAD

Same problem here after the iPad upgrade to 8.1.2. Before the upgrade, audio and video would mirror from our iPad 2s to our Promethean whiteboards. Upgrading the iPad 2s to 8.1.3 from 8.1.2 brought video OR audio, but not both back. This is a significant problem for our staff. I have consulted with several other knowledgeable Apple IT people and no one has a fix. I am, by default, assuming it is a bug in the iOS upgrades. I hope iOS 8.2 fixes this. I too have filed a bug report with Apple.

Airplay and iOS 8.1.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.