Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imac Wont Recognize My External Blu-Ray Drive Anymore

Hello, all. I have been using a Samsung external USB Blu-Ray drive successfully for 6 months. All of a sudden it is no longer recognized by my 27" iMac. The drive is fine as I have tried it on my older laptop and the USB port I connected it to on my iMac is fine as I have successfully plugged in other peripherals there.

When I plug in the drive to the iMac, I hear the disks spin, and the drive light blinks as if trying to recognize the media, but that is all.

Any ideas as to why this is happening and what I can do to fix this?

I am running Yosemite on a 2011 27" imac with 12GB of ram.

Thanks!

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Jan 29, 2015 8:23 AM

2 replies

Jan 31, 2015 10:18 AM in response to Henry Martinez1

Hello Henry,

Thank you for contributing to the Apple Support Communities.

It sounds like your USB Blu-ray drive is not being recognized by your iMac, and you've isolated it to an issue between the Mac and the drive.

You may find the steps in the "Top troubleshooting tips" section of this article helpful with continued troubleshooting:

USB and FireWire Quick Assist - Apple Support

Try these tips first:

• Restart your Mac
    Sometimes a simple restart can resolve issues. From the Apple menu, choose Restart to restart your computer. Once your Mac is finished starting up, test your device again.
  • Check the software
    See if a newer version of software is available for your device if it requires software. Visit the product manufacturer's website.
  • Check your device's power
    Make sure that your device is on if it has a power switch; try turning your device off and then on again.
  • Try a different port and cable
    Connect your device to a different USB or FireWire port on your Mac. If you connected your device to a USB or FireWire hub or to a port on another USB or FireWire device that's connected to your Mac (known as daisy chaining), connect your device directly to a port on your computer. Some devices need to draw power from a USB or FireWire port to work; if you connect a device to a non-powered hub (one that isn't plugged in to a power source) or to a low-power port (such as the one on your USB keyboard), it may not work. If you have another known-good cable, try swapping the cable to see if that works. If it does, you should replace the problematic cable.
  • Check for device conflicts
    Disconnect all USB or FireWire devices (including hubs and extension cables) except for your Apple keyboard and mouse. Then, connect the device in question directly to your computer. If your device works now, there may be a conflict between that device and one of your other USB or FireWire devices. If it doesn't work, go to tip 8. If you do have a conflict, you can determine which devices are affected. Connect your other devices to your Mac, one by one, making sure to test that each device works before making another connection. When you find the device that causes the issue, contact the manufacturer for assistance (check both manufacturers' websites for software updates and additional information).
  • Quit associated applications
    If you're using a particular application that uses the device in question (for example, you're using Image Capture with a USB scanner), try quitting the application and then opening it again.
  • Try another user account or computer
    If you have another Mac available, try connecting your device to that other computer to see if it works. If you don't have another computer available, log in to another user account on your Mac (or create a new user account and log in to it), and test the device again. If the device is working now, there may be a software conflict between the device and something in your original user account.
  • Check System Profiler for hardware Issues
    Open System Profiler (from the Apple menu, choose About This Mac, then click More Info) and then click either USB or FireWire. If you don't see your device listed in the pane, the issue could be with the device itself or your computer's USB or FireWire port. To rule out the port, plug the device into another USB or FireWire port on your Mac and then check System Profiler again (press Command-R to refresh the window). Also try resetting the FireWire bus. If you see your device listed in the pane but it doesn't work, you may want to contact the device's manufacturer for assistance.

Still having issues?

If the tips above don't resolve your issue, here are some other things to try:

Contact the device's manufacturer for assistance.

Sincerely,

Jeremy

imac Wont Recognize My External Blu-Ray Drive Anymore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.