Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.10.2 quick look broken for HTML files

Quick Look of HTML documents is broken with 10.10.2. It has worked up through 10.10.1.

To reproduce:

1) select an HTML file (ending in .htm or .html)

2) press the space bar in the Finder

3) see a blank window

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Jan 29, 2015 9:46 AM

16 replies

Jan 30, 2015 8:50 AM in response to bozemantofushop

Same for me as well, only noticed this morning and was not sure that it was the upgrade or not (never tried when at 10.10.1). Seem Apple are giving us two steps forward and one backwards!

I now have five bugs:

1 - Mail will not remove Junk or Deleted items on quitting.

2 - Apple canon printer drivers (3.1) fail to give you full functionality (print to disc).

3 - Holidays check box in Calendar preferences not functioning.

4 - Canon wireless printer appears in Finder side bar under "shared" but appears to have no function. Does not appear under Snow Leopard on

my other machine.

5 - Safari Quick View not working with html files.

The joys of updating!

Jan 30, 2015 1:55 PM in response to Eric Root

Eric Root wrote:

Send Apple feedback. They won't answer, but at least will know there is a problem. If enough people send feedback, it may get the problem solved sooner.

Feedback

Mail Feedback

Or you can use your Apple ID to register with this site and go the Apple BugReporter. Supposedly you will get an answer if you submit feedback.

Feedback via Apple Developer

In the feedback as a bug report - include as much detail as possible particularly if the problem only occurs when a certain combination of events.

Would guess on feedback the person handling it is prioritizing by bug feedback -- so if a lot of people complain and some include very detailed description or point to a thread on this site where they have a detailed description (feedback being short) of what happened before the crash or freeze up.

Feb 22, 2015 8:06 PM in response to bozemantofushop

As advised by :

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/169948/updating-to-os-x-10-10-2-broke-q uick-look-previews-for-html-files/174079#174079

I've been doing a bit of tinkering with the qlmanage command in the Terminal.

It seems the -t option on an html file seems to work fine - it displays a small thumbnail of the file just fine. It's when I use the -p option to compute a preview of the HTML file that it fails on.

IE

qlmanage -t <path_to_HMTL_file> <-------------- thumbnail comes up fine

qlmanage -p <path_to_HMTL_file> <---------------- nothing

But

qlmanage -p <path_to_JPG_file> <-------------- thumbnail comes up fine

qlmanage -p <path_to_JPG_file> <------------------- preview comes up fine

Now comparing the outputs of both the HTML file and the control sample JPG file it would appear that the Web preview generator is crashing when it comes to HTML files. If you wait when you use the -p option on the qlmanage command to an HTML file it eventually produces what looks like the backtrace to a crashing thread. It then just hangs there doing nothing and you have to Control - C the qlmanage command to get out of it. When its working fine it just runs qlmanage as a program and displays the quicklook preview as a window you just quit out of.

Here's that backtrace :

http://pastebin.com/Gi0j4ZFh

Just wondering .... has anyone done the testing I've done and submitted that in their bug report ? Might be information they may want to add onto Bug # 19639311

Mar 3, 2015 2:45 PM in response to Hone Melgren

@Hone Melgren

The qlmanage command is interesting; good find.

Using the -d 4 for additional debug shows that the correct generator is being registered and used for html files.

Oddly I get a 1100 permission error on all filetypes which the output directs you too look at /usr/include/servers/bootstrap_defs.h for details on the error codes. I don't have that directory on my computer but a locate on bootstrap_defs.h finds one in the Xcode directory. This file shows the 1100 error to be

#define BOOTSTRAP_NOT_PRIVILEGED 1100

which isn't particularly helpful to me. I suspect that error is not related to quick look not showing previews.

I'll have to see if on 10.10.3 if qlmanage output is different, though at this point it's just a curiosity exercise.

10.10.2 quick look broken for HTML files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.