Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

data usage and battery drain has skyrocketed with iOS 8.1.2 (maybe earlier)

3 weeks ago my wife got a text message on her iPhone 5 from AT&T that she had used 90% of her data for the month. 30 seconds later, she got another one saying that she had used 100%. Granted, her data plan is small, 200 MB. But, for the last two years she has used as little as 17 MB in a month and her largest prior to this latest month was 49 mb. This month she got to 380 mb before we were able to shut off her cell data. Otherwise, a second chunk of 200 MB and another $15 would have been added to the month.

We had noticed that her battery had been draining rather rapidly in standby mode with no background apps running when she didn't have access to WiFi. We have now correlated the two results, High Cell data usage, Quick battery drain and very warm phone. In case anyone is wondering about her iPhone 5 being one in the recall, it is. I took it in and had it tested. Apple says the battery is fine. It does hold a charge well. When all network communications are shut down on her phone and it is in standby mode, there is no noticeable loss of charge in 24 hours (our longest test).

Since I have a grandfathered Unlimited Data Plan with AT&T, I have been doing some testing on my iPhone 5s. Sure enough, I've seen similar results. With nearly everything turned off except Cell Data, I've seen 483 MB used in 24 hours. Of that total, 479 MB was used for Documents & Sync. I even have everything turned off in my iCloud account, Location services are turned off, no push notifications etc...

The best I can figure, this has been a problem since we installed 8.1.2 and yesterday I installed 8.1.3 resulting in no positive effect on this issue.

At this rate of data usage and no access to WiFi, my wife would have to have a 15 Gb data plan to keep from exceeding her limit. I don't think AT&T even offers one that big anymore. I might have to switch to Sprint or T-Mobile if this doesn't get resolved.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your shared insights.

Posted on Jan 29, 2015 9:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2015 8:30 AM

After 4+ months of dealing with this problem that included 3 data captures of my wife's iMac, the trigger for us regarding the problems syncing with iCloud, and 5 hours of logs off my iPhone 6 to be analyzed by Apple engineers that included times my wife's computer was both on and off to demonstrate the difference in data usage and battery drain under those conditions, I can say with very reasonable certainty that the iOS 8.3 and corresponding Mac OS 10.10.3 update has solved the problem.

We have now been running for about 2 weeks and data usage with the iCloud Servers attempting to sync has dropped from a rate of 31 GBs to under 15 MBs per month. Yes, you read it right. We were burning 2000 times as much data doing absolutely nothing important on both of our phones, a 5s and a 6. Just imagine what that does to battery life! The 5s would last about 5 hours and the 6 was dead in less than 14.

The distasteful aspect of this process was how the engineers were quietly fixing the problem at the same time sending messages to my contact person within Apple that were dismissive in nature in the face of indisputable unreasonable results. I must say, this experience with the multiple times the engineers' responses were inappropriate put a little tarnish on the old Apple shine of the ‘It just works’ mantra. This was my first experience in 34 years that caused me to stop recommending Apple products without reservations and with a disclaimer.

Since the update solved the problem, then I can only conclude that there was a logic bug regarding the reaction within the process to the incoming data that was corrected. There was noting short of logging out of iCloud that circumvented the problem for us, Gator5000e and probably many others noted on other threads. I am not trying to imply that this is the cause of everyones battery use problem, but it is reasonable that it was a cause for many.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 24, 2015 8:30 AM in response to ledaouk

After 4+ months of dealing with this problem that included 3 data captures of my wife's iMac, the trigger for us regarding the problems syncing with iCloud, and 5 hours of logs off my iPhone 6 to be analyzed by Apple engineers that included times my wife's computer was both on and off to demonstrate the difference in data usage and battery drain under those conditions, I can say with very reasonable certainty that the iOS 8.3 and corresponding Mac OS 10.10.3 update has solved the problem.

We have now been running for about 2 weeks and data usage with the iCloud Servers attempting to sync has dropped from a rate of 31 GBs to under 15 MBs per month. Yes, you read it right. We were burning 2000 times as much data doing absolutely nothing important on both of our phones, a 5s and a 6. Just imagine what that does to battery life! The 5s would last about 5 hours and the 6 was dead in less than 14.

The distasteful aspect of this process was how the engineers were quietly fixing the problem at the same time sending messages to my contact person within Apple that were dismissive in nature in the face of indisputable unreasonable results. I must say, this experience with the multiple times the engineers' responses were inappropriate put a little tarnish on the old Apple shine of the ‘It just works’ mantra. This was my first experience in 34 years that caused me to stop recommending Apple products without reservations and with a disclaimer.

Since the update solved the problem, then I can only conclude that there was a logic bug regarding the reaction within the process to the incoming data that was corrected. There was noting short of logging out of iCloud that circumvented the problem for us, Gator5000e and probably many others noted on other threads. I am not trying to imply that this is the cause of everyones battery use problem, but it is reasonable that it was a cause for many.

Feb 5, 2015 7:05 PM in response to Brian McMurry

This is happening to me as well. After installing the latest update on Monday, my battery began draining quickly and I am using ungodly amounts of data, where I have never even came close to going over my plan before. Yesterday, I went through 3 gigs in one day while connected to my wifi at home. Location services is off, cellular data is off...everything the same as Brian. Talked with AT&T support and they could not pinpoint what was draining my data, but they believed that something was stuck downloading in the background from the update on Monday...not much help. They gave me a temporary free upgrade to a 6GB plan for the month to see if the issue would resolve in the meantime. My data plan resets on Monday...received another joyous message from AT&T tonight that I was close to exceeding the 6G plan...insane! Heading to AT&T tomorrow - they said they that replacing my sim card might fix the problem.

Feb 6, 2015 8:06 AM in response to picassochef

Hey this is Brian, bjmcmurry, under a different user ID. If I logged in as bmcmurry, original post, I was just getting a server error and couldn't get to this discussion nor post a comment anywhere.

Anyway, let me be as brief as I can. After an extensive analysis of replicating the problem on another phone to eliminate it being a hardware specific issue and that the test phone has an unlimited data plan, I was able to stop the excessive data usage and consequential battery drain. I believe I have a reasonable explanation of the problem, an iOS logic bug.

I had everything under my control clamped down on the test phone to minimize data usage. Also, I was forcing all data usage to use the cell towers. I determined that I was burning at least 11 to 13 Mb per hour doing nothing important. I literally had everything turned off except 'Settings' was allowed to use Cell data providing a avenue to log into the Apple ID.

The two phones had 2 things in common, they were using the same Apple ID and the same version of the OS. One was a iPhone 5 and the other was a 5s.

Here is a synopsis of my experience via my written evaluation of the Apple support system (Apple Rep name's have been removed):

After a couple of hours on the phone with an Apple Care Senior support Analyst, it was suggested that I go to the Apple Store to 1) get my battery replace in the iPhone 5 since it qualified for the replacement program and 2) see if the Genius could provide me with any insight in the data usage issue and battery drain.

I'm certainly glad I had multiple reasons to visit the closest Apple store, a 45 min drive. I got the battery replaced, thanks for that.

Regarding the important issue to me that brought me to the Genius Bar, excessive Cell data usage, I thought the Genius did a wonderful job listening and documenting the problem we were experiencing. Unfortunately, educating us on the use of the product or replacing our phone was not going to solve the problem. He eventually figured it out, this was not a user error or broken hardware. We surmised that the reason I was sent to him was to verify and document that there was a problem. I clearly had a problem. After writing copious notes on the issue, The Genius smartly referred me back the the AppleCare Senior Advisor. So, back to AppleCare Senior Analyst I went. She, knowing this was not a simple problem to solve i.e. beyond her level of expertise, got an Apple Software engineer involved.

My primary frustration is that this should have been escalated to software engineering right away. My trip to see the Genius was, I believe, a waste of time for both me and Apple regarding this issue. Diagnosis of this type of problem is well beyond the Genius’ knowledge and job. The Genius did a very good job doing what he could within the scope of his job. He just couldn’t solve this problem and had no one within Apple to which he had access for help.

However, that initial consult with the engineer was a bit feeble. Not only could I not talk to him/her directly, his/her focus was still working with the ‘Black Box' approach. Having Analyst ask me to do stuff like restore the Phone was more like trying to find a 'work around' than 'identifying the real problem.' Maybe restoring the phone was going to fix some corrupted data on the phone sidesteping the real problem, the handling of this condition. The engineer did listen to the fact that I had restored the test phone, the 5s, and only added the use of my Apple ID. Duh, been there!!!

Having been an previous owner of a software development company that I started in 1980 and retired in 2001, I can tell you that using the 'Black Box' method of debugging is extremely inefficient. Instead, having access to an ‘Activity Manager’ type app to identify in real time what process was blowing up the data flow would have saved me a lost afternoon at the Apple store and hours on the phone with tech support.

Ironically, I may have stumbled onto a "work around" solution short of turning off Cell Data that stopped the excessive Cell Data usage and consequential battery drain. Just prior to leaving the Apple Store, I used one of their Macs to log in my Apple ID on the id.apple.com website to ‘Manage my Apple ID’, I was forced to upgrade the security level of my password. Afterward, my cell data usage seemed to drop dramatically.

I told the AppleCare Senior Analyst that I may have stumbled onto a workaround and I suggested that I give it a couple of days of monitoring. We'd talk then and I would have results to report. She agreed.

Sure enough, my Document & Sync usage was back to normal, about 1/2 Mb per day. Am I happy that the excessive Cell Data usage has stopped? You bet! But, there was no intuitive reason that an end user would know to log in on the ID website to unknowingly solve this problem. As I use to say to my employees, that is not the ‘Macintosh Way.’ And, rebooting the the 'Microsoft Way.'

When I reported my findings to the Analyst, we both concluded that data usage was back to normal. She did report to me that the engineer did provide a laundry list of suggested activities to help solve the problem. Remarkably, they were everything that I had already done and were pretty much what the Analyst and the Genius tried to do. All reasonable tasks. But clearly, the engineer hadn't even ready the notes on the case before responding. And, none of the things suggested would have uncovered the real problem, likely a logic bug in iOS.

My advice now is to have the software engineering team rule out that there was an unresolvable state that a background process was fiercely trying to handle. The iOS does not seem to know how to intervene and prompt the user with a requirement to upgrade their password. If this does end up being the case, I would call it a logic bug, a perpetual exception that is not being handled properly.

--------------

Anyway, I hope this helps you.

Feb 10, 2015 1:59 PM in response to bjmcmurry

This Apple ID thing is a bag of worms. Well, the original post to this thread was reassigned from one of my Apple IDs to another, I think this one.

Just wanted to let you know that the fix turned out to be a ruse. After a few days of normal data usage, yesterday we turned on cell data on my wife's phone and she blew through 38 MB in about an hour.

I'm now back testing with my 5s. After 18 hours allowing it to run unabated system services usage in standby mode, it has burned through 727 Mb for Documents & Sync. Since the battery is pretty warm, I'm giving it a break by turning off Cell data. I am suppose to get a call from Apple this afternoon.

I'll report back if I find out anything useful.

BTW, I did downgrade from 8.1.3 to 8.1.2 and had no positive results regarding this issue.

Apr 19, 2015 12:03 PM in response to Brian McMurry

I had the same when upgraded IPhone 6 from 8.2 to 8.3, I tested everything: '

Restore 8.3 Normal//Recovery mode/DFU Mode

Restore 8.2 Normal//Recovery mode/DFU Mode

Calibrating Battery

and I was testing after Setting as new Phone, Optimizing all features, and without any app installed and without an icloud account signed in, and with Airplane mode, I mean with the less power consumption, but I'm still facing the battery draining 5% per 20 minute, but it will fully charge from 0 in maximum 1:45 minutes.

I ran out of solutions: should I replace battery?

data usage and battery drain has skyrocketed with iOS 8.1.2 (maybe earlier)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.