Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 plus Hand pain after use

Has anyone else experienced hand pain after using the iPhone 6 Plus?

My husband and I both got new phones this month and I had the 4S while he had the 5 prior to now having these monster 6 Pluses. We both have experienced hand pain recently, we both think it's from the new phones. My wrists ache sometimes and my fingers will sometimes go numb after using the phone. I usually hold it with both hands and use my thumbs to text, if I'm playing a game I'll hold the phone with one hand and use the other to tap the screen. If I use my phone on my desk (not holding it, just having it in front of me, taping it with my fingers) I don't experience hand pain. I'm curious to see if anyone else out there has the same issues.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Jan 29, 2015 10:33 AM

86 replies

May 31, 2016 7:17 AM in response to Mr. Beef

To Mr. Beef and others having hand problems. It's been over a month and the sizzling hand pain I was experiencing has decreased substantially since replacing my glass protector with the kind of vinyl one I'd always used. My husband and I are electrical engineers and therefore pretty decent observers. We theorize that the heat generated from the battery was reflected off the glass protector somehow back into the device and into my hand. Whether this is the actual/only mechanism, whether it happens with all glass protectors or just some, whether it happens only with the iPhone 6s and not other cells, we can't say. No question, however, that the extreme hand pain I'd experienced--to the point that my skin felt like it was in a frying pan--has ceased. The size of the 6s still causes minor aches and stiffness if I hold the device too long, but they are nothing compared to the pain I felt with the glass protector.

Dec 6, 2017 1:30 AM in response to thetonnina

Same problem here. It wasnt until couple of months that I started feeling pain on my thumb & Index finger. I reduce my phone usage along with applying balm and hot & cold treatments to soothen the muscles, then it goes away. Then when I get back to using my phone regularly, the pain is back again 😟 .

Imagine, after paying so heavily for a device you're buying pain!! I switched from a Nexus to an iPhone, thinking its a good upgrade, but such facts are seldom made public...

Dec 6, 2017 9:34 AM in response to ioskrp

Talk to your doctor and consider switching to a smaller iPhone. If you have a Plus version, try the standard version (e.g. iPhone 7 instead of the iPhone 7 Plus). If you don't have a Plus version, consider trying the iPhone SE. It's not the iPhone itself causing the issue, it's the size and/or weight of the device. It would happen with any brand of phone of a similar size or weight of your current iPhone.

Dec 7, 2017 8:56 PM in response to Ginja1980

I did have a problem with my wrist for months. Looking back at these posts a year ahead and the pain in my wrist has gone! For anyone else, look at the way you hold and scroll you iPhone Plus. Also avoid holding it with one had for extended periods. Try to rest it on something! At least now we have the iPhone X which is smaller to hold, slightly lighter and the same size screen. Buying one isn't easy as they seem to sell out fairly quick!

Dec 7, 2017 9:03 PM in response to fotomarc

Exactly. Point is, with so much hand held experience, Apple should not have created such a design which means those having 6s should go looking to exchange.

We know the process to reduce pain, but shouldn't have got it in the first place.

Yes, I avoid holding the phone for too long & perform regular hand & wrist stretch exercises.

Thanks All,

Dec 8, 2017 6:10 AM in response to ioskrp

ioskrp wrote:

Exactly. Point is, with so much hand held experience, Apple should not have created such a design which means those having 6s should go looking to exchange.

We know the process to reduce pain, but shouldn't have got it in the first place.

Yes, I avoid holding the phone for too long & perform regular hand & wrist stretch exercises.

That's like saying that shoe manufacturers shouldn't make shoes that are too small for you because you might buy them and then get blisters. So, because your hands are small or you have a susceptibility to wrist or hand problems (some people do), Apple shouldn't make a larger phone that a lot of people wanted to buy? That's just silly. What about the fact that the smaller phones, with the smaller screen are hard for me to read? Or what about the people with motor difficulties who find a larger screen easier to manipulate because the icons are larger? Seriously, Apple can't make one device that will be perfect for everyone.

Jan 29, 2015 11:40 AM in response to thetonnina

When I first went from my iPhone 5 to my iPhone 6 (not the Plus) I experienced some hand fatigue by holding the larger device. However, it's now been 4 months and I don't even notice it anymore. It sounds like you may be experiencing a similar thing. Over time your hands may get used to the iPhone 6 Plus. If you are still within the return policy you may be able to switch to the iPhone 6 if you wanted to try it.

Jul 9, 2015 4:15 AM in response to thetonnina

A couple of months after I got my iphone 6+ I started to have pain in my left wrist. It has gotten much worse since and I could not figure out what would be the cause. I have had this pain now for about 6 months and at one point I consulted my doctor who made me take an X-ray of my wrist but he saw nothing. He prescribed anti-inflammatory that I have been taking since with no significant improvement. The other day when I heard that there are reports on wrist problem related to holding the iphone 6+ it downed on me that it must be that. I now try to set it down or not hold the phone with my left had and it has gotten a little bit better or perhaps somewhat more tolerable. The real bad news is that I play guitar and with this pain the guitar handle grip has become really painful or sometimes nearly impossible.

Jul 26, 2015 3:48 AM in response to thetonnina

Not only does my left hand, which I use the phone with, tingle and get hot every time I hold it, even when I am close to it or the iPad hand/fingers/wrist tingle and ache and sometimes up my arm even after putting phone down. If I go for a day without touching phone the pain and tingling recedes until I get in the vicinity of it again. This tingling actually used to occur with my Samsung 3 and then I changed to iPhones but same thing happens. I am convinced this the emissions from the phone as I don't get this after working on my computer all day/every day. This is not carpel tunnel either as it does not occur when I am away from phone for a while. It is getting so bad I am considering going back to an old basic Nokia with no touch screen, my body is telling me something and can't ignore it any longer. I dread what it does to my kids with the phones to their ears all the time! My husband has started using his phone speaker more as he receives a lot of calls all day long and his ear "burns" after prolonged use.

Dec 11, 2015 3:31 PM in response to thetonnina

Yes, I now have a significant amount of pain in my thumb joint due to holding the iPhone 6S plus. A friend, who is a massage therapist, says most of her clients that use an iPhone 6 plus or 6s plus are having problems with their hands. I didn't realize that this is a problem, so now am looking at alternative ways to hold and carry the phone to protect my hands.

iPhone 6 plus Hand pain after use

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.