Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to "trim original" video in iOS?

When iOS first came out I remember there being an option to "trim original" video where the entire video would be replaced with only the part that you wanted to keep (the trimmed parts of the video would be deleted permanently). You also had the option to "save as new clip" which would keep both the original video and a new file with the trimmed parts removed.

Where has the "trim original" feature gone? It does not show up in the latest version of iOS 8 but it is still referenced in the iPhone User Guide for iOS (see attached picture).

User uploaded file

The picture below shows the options I get when attempting to trim a video in iOS 8. You can see that the only option I get is to save as a new clip.

User uploaded file

iPhone 6, iOS 8, null

Posted on Jan 29, 2015 11:15 AM

11 replies

Jan 29, 2015 11:43 AM in response to Petridish38

I think I just figured out the answer... If iCloud Photo Library is turned on, I only get the option to save as a new clip. Thus, trimming video creates two files that take up cloud storage (for which Apple charges if you want more than 5 GB). If I disable iCloud Photo Library, the option to trim original returns. If this is intentional on Apple's part, it is very clever of them to try to get people to fill up their iCloud storage faster. Of course you just go back and delete the original if you don't want it, but this extra step seems unnecessary when Apple operating systems are supposed to be "intuitive" and "just work."

Apple, please add the "trim original" feature for those who have enabled iCloud Photo Library. There is no reason this should be any different with iCloud Photo Library enabled other than to try to trick people into filling up their iCloud storage (and subsequently paying for more) faster.

Jan 14, 2016 11:39 AM in response to anypats

How is this solved? The intent of the question is also clear in wanting an option to be able to trim even when it is up,loaded to iCloud. Since I'm not going to run out and buy the latest $750 iPhone it is not helpful to know it works on the iPhone 6. Nor does resetting/restoring anything help. I would also like to add I think it's ridiculous how many issues that come up that I am suppose to reset/restore my phone to fix. I got the iPhone on the premise of being easy to use. I sacrificed the ability to use the device exactly how I might want but expect it to be easy as an exchange.

How to "trim original" video in iOS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.