Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos & Camera / Photo Library Storage Bug?

I have 3.3 GB of phantom photos and videos in my Photos App. I have removed all photos and videos from my iPhone. Settings > General > Usage > Storage / Manage Storage > Photos & Camera still reports 3.3 GB of storage is being used.

I have made sure that all photos and videos have also been removed from the "Recently Deleted" album in the Photos App.

I have made a local backup using iTunes on my Mac, Restored iPhone to iOS 8.1.3 and then Restored Backup from iTunes on my Mac. No content in the Photos App, but the storage is still being taken up.

I made an Apple Support call and the only advice they could give me was to restore my iPhone and set it up as a new device.

This bug was in iOS 8.1.2 and remains in 8.1.3

- Kyle

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Jan 29, 2015 11:28 AM

8 replies

Jan 29, 2015 11:37 AM in response to Kyle Edmonds

Yes, that is strange. When you're in the Manage Storage section of Settings, tap on 'Photos & Camera' and it should show you a breakdown of which parts of the app are using storage.

It's possible that the corruption is in the app data somewhere, so the issue may always come back after restoring from a backup. However, I'd be curious to see if the same issue persists after erasing all content and settings then restoring from an iCloud backup (rather than iTunes backup). Since iCloud downloads photos AFTER the settings have been restored (as opposed to iTunes, which restores settings and photos at the same time), it might recognize that no photos are supposed to be downloaded and the Manage Storage section of your Settings may display properly. Just a suggestion.

Photos & Camera / Photo Library Storage Bug?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.