Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Please help me

I don't understand any of this at all. I'm not going to get into the start of all this, but essentially I just need to backup my iPhone now and have never done so before. I'm using a 5s that I've had for about two years and just want a simple and easy way to back up all of my data so I don't lose it. I have three apple devices, all of which I struggle with and can rarely find any helpful advice (if you can't already tell I'm not at all tech-savvy), so I'm hoping making an account here will actually bring me some answers.

I was told iCloud was the easiest option and reluctantly tried it. Immediately an email was created for me and then it said I didn't have enough storage to back up my data, as there are only 5GB of free storage. Not willing to buy more storage, I decided to plug it into my Mac. This I didn't want to do because I synced my iPod to my Mac, which for reasons unknown was unable to hold all my music (claiming not enough storage when there was and still is plenty), meaning some of my music is on my Mac, while most is on my old PC, so I can't use my Mac to sync my music without losing most of it. Additionally, my iPhone automatically synced wirelessly with my iTunes account (something I found very annoying), meaning every now and again, some music randomly ends up on my iPhone if I have wifi. Completely unwanted and irritating, but anyway I plug my iPhone in and automatically it starts syncing with my iTunes on my Mac, downloading some of my apps (claiming there to be 30, but only 8 are present), mixing this weird mashup of music I don't want on either device and freezing my mac for a while, as I scour the internet for solutions. It then says there is not enough storage to back up my device, even though there should be, but there is no way for me to manually decide what I want to be backed up and what I don't, or at least none that I can find.

I then realise iTunes doesn't seem to be backing up my notes and pictures (which are the most important things for me to back up), so I go back to my phone to see it's giving me notifications about iCloud storage memory. I try to delete the iCloud account, which gives me a notification saying if I do so, all backed up data will be deleted from my phone. I then try to un-sync certain apps with the iCloud, where I get the same message threatening to delete it from my phone. So it seems I'm stuck with the bloody iCloud, which means whatever's been partially backed up there can't be backed up to my iTunes, the back up for which was likewise only partial, with no information on either platform about what exactly was backed up, yet both record a successful back up despite me receiving the same message from both there was wasn't enough space. I know I sound like an idiot, but I am losing my mind over this simple problem there seems to be no solution to and everywhere I go I get unhelpful or generic advice, get sent to an equally unhelpful FAQ page, or redirected to an apple help page that no longer exists…

I just want to back my data up (and preferably learn how to get rid of the iCloud account without losing data, remove all the data on the iTunes on my Mac without losing it on my other devices and get rid of all the unwanted music on my iPhone), I'm also not willing to pay for more storage, because that is ridiculous and I'm not paying for an untrustworthy system that I'm still not sure who it will make my personal data readily available to. I really just want a place to back up and save my data (my notes and photos in particular) and I'm pulling my hair out because I don't understand any of these new apple systems that automatically do everything I don't want them to do.

iPhone 5s

Posted on Jan 29, 2015 11:54 AM

7 replies

Jan 29, 2015 12:37 PM in response to mtisc

Here's how to back up to iTunes and what is part of the backup:

Create and delete iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch backups in iTunes

Usually iTunes syncs and creates backups of your devices without using Wi-Fi:

Sync your iPhone, iPad and iPod with iTunes using USB

To deactivate Wi-Fi syncing, deselect that option in the summary pane when your phone is connected to iTunes.

Sync your iPhone touch with iTunes using Wi-Fi - Apple Support

And here is what iCloud backs up:

iCloud: iCloud storage and backup overview

I would recommend to use iCloud and iTunes to back up your data. I use iCloud to do the daily backups when my phone is connected to Wi-Fi and the screen is locked.

Every week or so I connect to iTunes and back up manually, just in case.

iCloud also syncs my contacts and calendars to my other devices and my Mac. Deactivating syncing for contacts will erase your contact info on the phone, if you don't click on "don't remove from phone" if asked.

The music is part of the iTunes library on my Mac and not in the Cloud. There are ways to move your songs from the PC to the Mac:

iTunes: How to move your music to a new computer

If you purchased the music form iTunes, it can be downloaded for free again:

Downloading past purchases

Same for photos, if I want to save the photos from the camera roll, I connect to the Mac and import them to iPhoto or Aperture:

Import photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your Mac or Windows PC - Apple Support

Importing the photos and deleting them afterwards on your phone will also reduce the size of the backup. You can sync photos you want to keep back again, using iTunes and the settings in the photo pane, the pictures will be optimized for viewing on your device, which means, less data used on the phone as well.

Feb 3, 2015 6:15 AM in response to Ingo2711

Sorry, I know I sound stupid but neither of these replies helped me. I'm trying to use the iCloud (since I can't seem to rid myself of the bloody thing now) but it keeps saying there's too much data to backup, without allowing me to control what exactly I back up and threatening to delete data from my device, whilst on my iCloud account there clearly is nothing backed up.

All the links are articles I've seen before, I don't know if I'm just being very slow, but I can't seem to get my head around it. I'm attempting to upload my photos to my iLibrary on my Mac, so that I can store my notes on the iCloud. Can someone please just walk me through the process step by step. I need an "iCloud for Dummies" level of approach.

Feb 3, 2015 6:25 AM in response to mtisc

Oh yeah and if I log into my iCloud account on my Mac, it says I still have 5GB of data unused and only my contacts are actually backed up. And when I try to see my device it there's this message: "No Devices. You must be signed into IOS 8 settings or Mac OS X Yosemite System Preferences to see devices." what on earth does that mean?

Feb 3, 2015 7:21 AM in response to mtisc

To import the photos to your Mac, connect the phone, open Image Capture, the program located in the program folder on your Mac.

Select a folder to which the photos should be copied to, and select this folder in the photo pane in iTunes when your phone is connected to iTunes. All photos inside this folder will be copied to your phone, if you want that.

Check the steps in this article: Transfer images using Image Capture

On your iPhone:

To store the notes in iCloud, go to Settings/iCloud/ and select all data you want to sync with or to iCloud.

To select data to be backed up, choose Settings/iCloud/Storage/manage storage/and select what should be part of the backup made to iCloud.

You can also see the used space in iCloud.

Feb 3, 2015 10:09 AM in response to Ingo2711

Again, sorry but that doesn't answer my question… I've tried to select what I want stored on iCloud and it tells me taking things off it will delete it from my phone. iCloud also doesn't acknowledge my device (that message is still present), but claims I've got 5GB, which is clearly not the case if it says there's not enough room to back up anything.

I've managed to successfully upload most of my pictures to my Mac, although my Mac claims it too is running out of space. I don't really understand how everything can be full when nothing is saved on any of these programs/devices, or at least, not nearly enough to fill up the capacity on any of them. I may end up screenshotting all of my notes and saving them as pictures for upload because I really don't get any of this or how to work it and none of the help pages I've been linked to answer my questions. In which case, I'm going to need help removing the stupid iCloud, because it keeps threatening to delete my data and now won't leave me alone.

Feb 3, 2015 10:47 AM in response to mtisc

Taking screenshots of notes will take up more space than the notes. Find out what is using up the space on your Mac, and dump out what you can. Or buy an external hard drive. Then adjust to these settings on the iPhone summary page when the phone is wired to iTunes. Ingo has supplied all relevant links.

User uploaded file

Please help me

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.