Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SyncServer.exe and distnoted.exe run CPU at 50%

SyncServer.exe and distnoted.exe run CPU at 50% all the time even if iTunes is closed.,When I open iTunes the CPU usage jumps to 80%.

Why is SyncServer and disnoted always running and why are they running at 50% all the time. I read through forums and I heard of users complaining that their CPU usage was 12% for each application.

Hope someone has had the same issue and found a solution.

System specs: Windows 8.1 pro 64 bit. RAM 16GB, AMD Phenom II X4 Processor 3.2 GHZ

iTunes: 12.0.1.26

Thanks

DIMiPhone

iPhone 5, Windows 8, iTunes 12.0.1.26

Posted on Jan 29, 2015 12:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2015 10:00 AM

I have the same issue. There are a number of posts on this issue -- however none of the posts and suggested fixes have worked for me. Out of curiosity, what antivirus software are you using? For me this problem started when I installed Kaspersky 2015. Kaspersky support blames Apple, Apple blames Kaspersky. Neither company seems to respond to any of the forum posts / questions.

I'm running Windows 8.1 as well.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 2, 2015 10:00 AM in response to DIMiPhone

I have the same issue. There are a number of posts on this issue -- however none of the posts and suggested fixes have worked for me. Out of curiosity, what antivirus software are you using? For me this problem started when I installed Kaspersky 2015. Kaspersky support blames Apple, Apple blames Kaspersky. Neither company seems to respond to any of the forum posts / questions.

I'm running Windows 8.1 as well.

Aug 1, 2015 8:04 AM in response to teddytoons2

I'm not sure if this is related, but iTunes 12.2 and 12.2.1 both seem to have a CPU usage issue when a Get Info editor is opened (just opened, this happens without executing any edit or update operations) - Task Manager shows iTunes' usage jumping to > 50%. Not related to specific AV (I see this on systems using AVG, Windows Defender, and Vipre) or to a specific edition of Windows (same symptoms on Win 7, 8.1 and 10). There have been reports of a similar issue on the iTunes for Mac forum, suggesting that this may be a problem with the core iTunes application.

However, I don't see any specific problems with either syncserver or distnoted processes, which would at least support the suggestion that this could be a conflict between iTunes and Kapersky. Obviously both cases could be different consequences of a common problem.

Aug 30, 2015 6:40 PM in response to hhgttg27

Same issue here. My only resolution so far is to manually kill the services when I am not using Itunes. I noticed lag in games about a week ago so I'm not sure how long I've had the issue but it seems to be new for me. I'm running Kaspersky Internet security 2015 and pause the protection has no affect on CPU usage when the apple process are running away

SyncServer.exe and distnoted.exe run CPU at 50%

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.