Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.10.2 changes default email account

Since the 10.10.2 upgrade mail has changed the account it selects for default when I send a message. It seems to have defaulted to the order in the system preferences internet account panel. There doesn't seem to be an easy way to drag an account to the top, and I am a little reluctant to delete and read accounts in hope that the readied accounts will go to the bottom of the list.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), 2013

Posted on Jan 29, 2015 4:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2015 8:45 AM

Hey waldhaus1,

Thanks for the question. If I understand correctly, you want to change what the default account in Mail is. I would recommend that you read this article, it may be able to help the issue.

Mac OS X: Mail - How to change the default account and "From" address

Mac OS X 10.2 and later
The "From" address for a new message will generally be the same as the "To" address of the message that is currently selected. If no message is selected, then the "From" address associated with the currently selected mailbox will be used, if there is one. Otherwise, the default "From" address will be used as described above.
Changing the send account on a per-message basis
When two or more email accounts are set up in Mail, the Account pop-up menu appears in the New Message window. You can use this menu to select an email account other than the default.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Have a good one,

Mario

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 1, 2015 8:45 AM in response to waldhaus1

Hey waldhaus1,

Thanks for the question. If I understand correctly, you want to change what the default account in Mail is. I would recommend that you read this article, it may be able to help the issue.

Mac OS X: Mail - How to change the default account and "From" address

Mac OS X 10.2 and later
The "From" address for a new message will generally be the same as the "To" address of the message that is currently selected. If no message is selected, then the "From" address associated with the currently selected mailbox will be used, if there is one. Otherwise, the default "From" address will be used as described above.
Changing the send account on a per-message basis
When two or more email accounts are set up in Mail, the Account pop-up menu appears in the New Message window. You can use this menu to select an email account other than the default.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Have a good one,

Mario

Feb 1, 2015 2:23 PM in response to mario49

Thanks Mario49.

Interestingly the location of the pick list has changed or at least it looks different.

The link in your message goes to a site apparently removed.

Perhaps it is being updated.

I would like to be able to click on the compose icon or new message menu item and have it come up with my most commonly used email without having to remember to go to the pick list.

Right now the default is @mac.com rather than my ISP. Having it as my ISP is my preference.

A couple years ago I had a similar problem and I was able to revise the list by deleting and re-adding the address I wanted to be the default.

I don't know if that would work now. The accounts have at least in part drifted to the system preferences pane for internet accounts and the order is the same in the email accounts preference tab for mail.

I can live with it, but find it annoying like the way calendar messes with appointment times with time zone travel.

It requires an extra step. Computers are supposed to ultimately make things simpler (or so I'd like to believe.)

Thanks again.

10.10.2 changes default email account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.