Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I transfer a iPhone back up to new computer without losing anything in my phone?

please help me

iPhone 4

Posted on Jan 29, 2015 6:03 PM

1 reply

Feb 1, 2015 9:31 AM in response to jkeenan1

Good Morning, jkeenan1 -

Did you get a new Mac or a new PC? The first thing I would suggest you do is to back up your iPhone to iCloud. Then make sure you have the latest version of iTunes installed on your new computer. Finally, copy your iTunes Library to your new computer. If you follow these steps you shouldn't have an issue connecting your iPhone to your new computer. The following resources provides more detailed information.

iCloud: iCloud storage and backup overview
http://support.apple.com/kb/PH12519?viewlocale=en_US

When you sign up for iCloud, you automatically get 5 GB of free storage. Your iCloud storage is used for iCloud Backup, iCloud Drive, iCloud Photo Library beta, app data and documents stored in iCloud, and iCloud Mail (your @icloud.com email account).

If you run out of space, you can upgrade your storage. You can also manage your storage space by reducing your iCloud backup size, deleting photos or videos, or deleting files stored in iCloud.

What iCloud backs up

Cloud automatically backs up the information on your devices—iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch—over Wi-Fi every day when they are turned on, locked, and connected to a power source. With your device information backed up in iCloud, you can easily set up a new device or restore information on one you already have.

Here’s what iCloud backs up:

• Purchase history for music, movies, TV shows, apps, and books

Your iCloud backup includes information about the content you have purchased, but not the purchased content itself. When you restore from an iCloud backup, your purchased content is automatically downloaded from the iTunes Store, App Store, or iBooks Store. Some types of content aren’t downloaded automatically in all countries, and previous purchases may be unavailable if they have been refunded or are no longer available in the store. For more information, see the Apple Support article iTunes in the Cloud availability by country. Some types of content aren’t available in all countries. For more information, see the Apple Support article What can I buy from the iTunes Store in my country?.

• Photos and videos on your iOS devices, unless you turn on iCloud Photo Library beta on your iOS 8.1 device. If you turn on iCloud Photo Library beta, your photos and videos are already stored in iCloud, so they aren’t included in your iCloud Backup.

• Device settings

• App data

• Home screen and app organization

• iMessage, text (SMS), and MMS messages

• Ringtones

• Visual Voicemail

Your iOS device backup only includes data and settings stored on your device. It doesn’t include data already stored in iCloud, for example contacts, calendars, bookmarks, mail messages, notes, shared photo albums, iCloud Photo Library beta, My Photo Stream, and documents you save in iCloud using iOS apps and Mac apps.

Last Modified: Jan 8, 2015

How to move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT4527

How to move your iTunes library to a new computer

When you get a new computer, you can move your iTunes library so that you can play your media on and sync with your new computer.

Before you begin

Make a new backup of your iTunes library or update your existing backup before you move it. Even if you already have a backup of your iTunes library, this step makes sure you capture any changes and makes the process easier.

Migration

If you want to move your library to a new Mac, you can migrate your data from another Mac or a PC. If you are replacing your PC, you might be able to use Windows Easy Transfer. This option might be slower than other options, but it's more thorough.

Use an external drive

If you're using this method on a Mac:

1. From the Finder menu, choose Preferences.
  2. Make sure that the boxes next to "External disks" and "Hard disks" are enabled.

Part 1: Install iTunes

Download and install the latest version of iTunes.

Part 2: Move any new content

If you’ve used iTunes on your new computer, move your media to a new folder. This will keep anything you added to your new computer separate from your old library. These files can be added back to your library in Part 4.

Move your iTunes Media folder (Mac)
Move your iTunes Media folder (Windows)

Part 3: Copy the iTunes backup from your old computer

To copy all of your media files, including the library file that holds all your playlists and other settings, to your new computer:

1. Locate the following folder on your new computer.
    • Mac: Choose Go > Home from the Finder menu bar. Double click the Music folder.
    • Windows XP: Navigate to \Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\My Music\.
    • Windows Vista: Navigate to \Users\username\Music\iTunes.
    • Windows 7 and Windows 8: Navigate to \Users\username\My Music\iTunes.
  2. Drag the iTunes folder in this location onto the desktop.
    Mac: From the Music folder to the Desktop:
    User uploaded file
    Windows: From the My Music folder to the Desktop:
    User uploaded file
  3. Locate the external drive on your new computer:
    • Mac: On the desktop.
    • Windows: In My Computer or Computer.
  4. Double-click the external drive icon to open it.
  5. Drag the iTunes folder from your external drive to the Music folder (Mac) or My Music Folder (Windows) on your new computer. The transfer might take a while if you have a lot of content.
    Mac: From the external drive to the Music folder:
    User uploaded file
    Windows: From the external drive to the Music library:
    User uploaded file
  6. Open iTunes.

You've now moved all of your music, playlists, and other information—including play counts and ratings—from your old computer to your new one.

Part 4 (optional): Add back new content

Copy the iTunes Media folder you created in Part 2 into the "Automatically Add to iTunes" folder inside the iTunes Media folder you copied in Part 3. iTunes will automatically import the content.

Use iTunes in the Cloud

If you don’t have a backup of your iTunes library and your old computer is unavailable, you can download past purchases made with your Apple ID through iTunes in the Cloud.

If you have multiple Apple IDs, you might find it easier to transfer purchases from a device after authorizing your new computer with your Apple ID.

If you previously subscribed to iTunes Match, you can turn on iTunes Match once your new computer is authorized.

After you transfer your library

1. If you plan to stop using your old computer, deauthorize it by choosing Store > Deauthorize This Computer from the iTunes menu bar.
  2. If you used iTunes on your old computer to back up your iOS device, back up your devices on your new computer or manually transfer the backups from your old computer. Learn more about creating and deleting iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch backups in iTunes.
  3. If you used iCloud with your old computer for syncing, set up iCloud on your new computer.
  4. If you will continue to use your old computer, recreate your iTunes library. This prevents an iOS device from seeing the old computer as the new one because of the old library files.
Important: Mention of third-party websites and products is for informational purposes only and constitutes neither an endorsement nor a recommendation. Apple assumes no responsibility with regard to the selection, performance or use of information or products found at third-party websites. Apple provides this only as a convenience to our users. Apple has not tested the information found on these sites and makes no representations regarding its accuracy or reliability. There are risks inherent in the use of any information or products found on the Internet, and Apple assumes no responsibility in this regard. Please understand that a third-party site is independent from Apple and that Apple has no control over the content on that website. Please contact the vendor for additional information.

Last Modified:

Hope this helps ...

- Judy

How do I transfer a iPhone back up to new computer without losing anything in my phone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.