Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

slow internet

Hi;

I downloaded the last upgrade, ( 10.10.2 ) and, unfortunately connection to internet is still slow 😟

Gulp!!! Disappointed!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Jan 29, 2015 4:10 PM

3 replies

Feb 1, 2015 8:40 AM in response to robmish2000

Hello robmish2000,

To address the issue you are having with a slow internet connection, first try connecting an ethernet cable and compare your wired connection speed to your Wi-Fi speed. Then, try the steps below (click on the links for complete details):

Safari 5.0.1 or later: Slow or partial webpage loading, or webpage cannot be found - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203387

When loading webpages in Safari 5.0.1 or later, you might experience the following:

• Slow performance
  • Partially-loaded pages
  • Webpage "cannot be found" message

Your DNS server(s) or your router might be affected by DNS prefetching in Safari 5.0.1 or later.

First, try a different DNS service

Try a different DNS service, such as one of the DNS services below. This will test to see if the root cause of your issue lies with your selected DNS servers.

For information about how to change DNS settings in Mac OS X, see Editing DNS and search domain settings.

If the issue persists in Safari, return to your original DNS server settings if desired, then continue with the next section.

Solutions for connecting to the Internet, setting up a small network, and troubleshooting - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT1714

Internet connection and troubleshooting

Learn about common ways to connect to the Internet. The DNS issues section below applies to all three types.

Ethernet connection from cable modem, DSL, or LAN

These articles explain how to connect to the Internet or troubleshoot your service if you have a cable modem, digital subscriber line (DSL), or a local area network (LAN). You use your computer's Ethernet port or an AirPort base station to connect to these services.

Wi-Fi (wireless) connection

Learn about setting up, using, and troubleshooting a Wi-Fi Internet connection in these articles:

PPP over Ethernet (PPPoE)

Use these articles if your cable or DSL Internet service provider requires you to connect to the Internet using PPPoE.

DNS issues - "Server Could Not Be Found", webpages load slowly

DNS-related alert messages

It's possible to successfully connect to the Internet but not be able to load webpages or do other things that use the Internet. You may see messages such as:

• "The server could not be found."
  • "The specified server could not be found."
  • "A connection failure has occurred."
  • "Connection attempt failed."
  • "Name servers not responding."

Delay before connection

In some cases, webpages might load, but you have to wait quite a bit before they do. This could be caused by DNS issues.
The domain name system (DNS) server, which is provided by your Internet service provider or network administrator, translates names like "www.apple.com" to their numerical IP addresses. For more information, see these articles:

Troubleshooting web browser issues

If your web browser can connect to the Internet but has other issues, such as quitting unexpectedly or becoming unresponsive ("freezing") there are other steps you can try.

All the best,

- Judy

Feb 1, 2015 11:14 AM in response to judysings

Hi Judy;

I appreciate your answer but I'm not ( like many people I guess...) a big computer tech...

I bought an Apple product in 2008 ( leaving Microsoft ), because of the user friendly applications of the hardware.

I just upgrade before christmas to a new MacBook Pro running with Yosemite.... Since then it's not as friendly anymore 😟

I don't understand why I should go into so much trouble to get this thing going like my old Mac used to do.

And I didn't change my internet provider with whom I never had problems before.

I hope Apple will resolve this matter in a near future because I'm sure i'm not the only one frustrated by this situation and I doubt very much that it's my gear and connection.

Thanks anyway, I appreciate that you tried to help me but, the future will tell if i'm the only one in this situation.

Regards;

Robert

slow internet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.