Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My screen broke and I can not unlock my iphone to back up and send it to assistance

My screen broke and I can not unlock my iphone to back up and send it to assistance.

How can I make the backup?

iPhone 5

Posted on Jan 29, 2015 4:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2015 5:01 PM

If the screen is not responding you cannot unlock it, sorry.

All you can do is use the last backup when the device is returned to you. Do you normally backup to iTunes or iCloud?

On your Mac/ PC 'iTunes > Preferences, Devices tab' will list the saved backups mouse over them to see the date (if it isn't already shown).

For iCloud backups on a Mac look in 'System Preferences > iCloud', there should be a 'manage' button that will list the storage used. Look at that to see the iCloud backup date.

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2015 5:01 PM in response to aguilms

If the screen is not responding you cannot unlock it, sorry.

All you can do is use the last backup when the device is returned to you. Do you normally backup to iTunes or iCloud?

On your Mac/ PC 'iTunes > Preferences, Devices tab' will list the saved backups mouse over them to see the date (if it isn't already shown).

For iCloud backups on a Mac look in 'System Preferences > iCloud', there should be a 'manage' button that will list the storage used. Look at that to see the iCloud backup date.

Jan 29, 2015 6:04 PM in response to aguilms

iTunes

If you've synced your device with iTunes, you can restore your device.

1. Connect the device to the computer you normally sync with.
  2. Open iTunes. If iTunes asks you to enter your passcode or asks you to allow access, try another computer that you've synced with. Or use recovery mode. (Click the link to be taken to the steps.)
  3. iTunes will automatically sync your device and create a backup. If it doesn't, sync the device with iTunes.
  4. After the sync is complete, restore your device.User uploaded file
  5. When iOS Setup Assistant asks to set up your device, choose "Restore from iTunes backup."
  6. Select your device in iTunes and choose the most recent backup.

Jan 29, 2015 6:31 PM in response to ManSinha

This is what happens when the device is locked ManSinha…

User uploaded file

Step 2 – Recovery mode ERASES the device – not desired here.

You can try syncing aguilms but since you are here my guess is you already tried & failed? This restriction depends on the device not being rebooted since it was last unlocked & allowed to sync to iTunes.

I do not know if DFU mode can help you, it is unclear if it will make a device backup prior to erasing the software. Normally iTunes does backup before restoring but DFU mode is not clear to me.

I'll try see if there is a way to tell, the only other suggestion is to leave a note with the device asking the technician not to erase it - but that makes testing difficult for them, they may not be able to avoid it.

Jan 29, 2015 6:31 PM in response to aguilms

Sorry to tell you that since your iPhone screen is broken, so you can't click the "trust" on it to let iTunes recognize it nor use the iCloud on your iPhone to do the backup. The only option is to take it to a local Apple store, asking the Apple staff to repair it. Since only the screen is going to be replaced, there should be no effect on your data on the iPhone.

Jan 29, 2015 7:27 PM in response to ManSinha

I'm trying to do the procedure that mansinha told me, let's see if it work, put in update, for restoring it tells if I have not backed up will lose everything. The problem that the apple of technical assistance does not replace the iPhone 5 screen, they retain the phone and give me a new one. So if I do not back'll lose a lot.

Jan 29, 2015 8:38 PM in response to ManSinha

It seems to be something about damage to the phone. Despite using the computer that you sync to, it still asks to be unlocked. Tonight I connected my iPhone to the computer I sync to at least once a day, sometimes more, and clicked on the update to install iOS 8.1.3. First thing it did after I did a backup and sync and clicked on update, after downloading the software, it prompted me to unlock the device. It seems to be some type of verification process.

Jan 29, 2015 8:55 PM in response to Drew Reece

Drew is correct; the iPhone will prompt for any changes made while it is locked. If you are using your iPhone and it is unlocked(meaning you typed in the passcode) it will not prompt for a passcode but the computer may prompt for a trust device prompt. Once its done on the same computer it wouldn't be required again but from what I read from the OP it sounds their unsure of iCloud backup and the iTunes backups are old. With a non-functioning damaged screen there is really not much that can be done to salvage a back-up- the computer requires the device to perform some on screen commands if you have a device with a passcode and you sync it to iTunes for any kind of changes. Best of luck to the OP.

My screen broke and I can not unlock my iphone to back up and send it to assistance

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.