Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages--File does not exist

To the Pages gurus out there:

I am using Pages v 5.5.2 to type up documents for school. My professor has requested that all of our attachments be in Microsoft Word. I know you can export to Word and save your file as a word doc through Pages and have done that a few times now and all of a sudden ran into issues when saving a document and exporting a document to Word. I get an error message that says "The file “_________.docx” doesn’t exist." (Underscores used for illustrative purposes only.) It is probably worth mentioning that I am typing my files into a downloaded template from my professor that are originally in a docx format. Any help is greatly appreciated!

-Jeremy

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Jan 29, 2015 5:16 PM

18 replies

Mar 10, 2015 12:24 PM in response to JerMullavey

I have the same problem saving any Pages file to a subdirectory of Documents. I think it's a "feature" in Pages - hope they get it fixed soon! What I do is save it to the Documents directory then move it to the subdirectory where I want it. I haven't had any trouble saving the file after that.

This is something that really should not have made it out the door, Apple. I would have expected it of Microsoft, but not you!

May 16, 2015 1:00 PM in response to Synthesis2.0

Inability to save new Pages files (which had never had to until very recently) was driving me bonkers. Not only did a get a "File doesn't exist" error with every attempt at saving a new file, but I couldn't export to PDF or Word -- same error message. Until I found the answer in the above couple of comments:

You have to save to the Documents folder (directory) or to Desktop. Then, move the file to whatever subdirectory is needed.

This is INCREDIBLY rinky-****, way below what should be expected of a mature product by Apple. Maybe in an alpha or beta test of a new app, but not in a program that's been around for years. This didn't happen with earlier versions, so presumably it got introduced somewhere along the line in version 5.x. (I'm using 5.5.3).

It would be so wonderful if Apple had a reliable bug-reporting mechanism that actually included some indication that a human acknowledges the report.

APPLE: IF YOU'RE OUT THERE, PLEASE FIX THIS! Many of us (me included) have been Apple evangelists for years, and while I hate Microsoft software, I have to say: Microsoft wouldn't be caught dead releasing a mature product with such a basic (and presumably easily fixable) bug.

Pages--File does not exist

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.