Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I sold my iPhone and wiped the device clean. The new user cannot get past the activation lock even with my iTunes password and the device no longer shows on find my iPhone. How can the new owner get past this screen?

I sold my iPhone and wiped the device clean. The new user cannot get past the activation lock even with my iTunes password and the device no longer shows on find my iPhone. How can the new owner get past this screen?

iPhone 5, Latest version as of 2 months ago

Posted on Jan 29, 2015 9:05 PM

1 reply

Feb 1, 2015 11:16 AM in response to Brirendine

Hi Brirendine,

Take a look at the instructions below for what to do when you sell your iPhone. If you have followed all of these steps, the new owner should contact his/her carrier to activate the phone.

iCloud: Activation Lock
http://support.apple.com/kb/PH13695

With iOS 7 or later, Find My iPhone includes a feature called Activation Lock, which is turned on automatically when you set up Find My iPhone. Activation Lock makes it harder for anyone to use or sell your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch if it’s ever lost or stolen.

With Activation Lock, your Apple ID and password are required before anyone can:

• Turn off Find My iPhone on your device

• Sign out of iCloud on your device

• Erase and reactivate your device

Important: Make sure to remember your Apple ID and password, and that your password is unique and secure—someone else shouldn’t be able to guess it. For more information, see the Apple Support article Security and your Apple ID.

If you want to give away or sell your device, be sure to erase your content and settings (in Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings). When you erase your content, Find My iPhone and Activation Lock are also turned off.

If you no longer have the device, follow the instructions to remove a device you no longer have. For more information, see the Apple Support article What to do before selling or giving away your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

If you’re purchasing or selling a used device, you can check its Activation Lock status at icloud.com/activationlock from a Mac or PC.

For more information about Activation Lock, see the Apple Support article Find My iPhone Activation Lock.

Last Modified: Jan 8, 2015

I hope this information helps ....

- Judy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.