Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

if i download the new iphoto will it delete all of my pictures?

When i try to open my iPhoto it says "In order to open “iPhoto”, you need to update to the latest version. The version of iPhoto installed on this Mac is not compatible with OS X Yosemite. Download the latest version for free from the Mac App Store." I just wanted to know if it will delete all my photos if I download the new virsoin

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Jan 29, 2015 9:56 PM

3 replies

Jan 29, 2015 10:05 PM in response to livivanb

no

iPhoto 9.6 is required for Yosemite - if you want to continue to use iphoto you must upgrade to it

Upgrading will not lose anything

However - rare failures can occur so before doing any update or upgrade backup first - and if you are not regularly backing up you are 100% guaranteed to lose everything sooner or later - so you must alway have a good regular backup plan - TimeMachine is a good one if you have not select another one

LN

Jan 29, 2015 11:57 PM in response to livivanb

I just wanted to know if it will delete all my photos if I download the new virsoin

Your photos are stored in your iPhoto Library and not in the iPhoto application. Upgrading the iPhoto application in the Applications folder will not remove the iPhoto Library. Application and photos are separate. You can have many iPhoto libraries.

If you do not move the iPhoto Library, you will find it in your "Pictures" folder. It is called "iPhoto Library.photolibrary" and has an icon like a fan of pictures. In iPhoto '11 it will look like this: Make a copy of this library on an external drive or in a separate folder.

User uploaded file

An iPhoto library is in a specific format for each version of iPhoto. This is why iPhoto will need to convert it, when you first run the new version of iPhoto. Sometimes the conversion can go wrong, if something should cause your Mac to crash during the conversion - like running out of storage. That is why you should have the backup and make sure you have plenty of free storage, before you try to open iPhoto in the new version. Don't risk a library upgrade with less than 10GB of free storage, better more! iPhoto 9.6 does not handle crashes during the upgrade gracefully.

if your old iPhoto was iPhoto '08 or earlier, read this first: iPhoto '11: About the Library Upgrader

if i download the new iphoto will it delete all of my pictures?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.