Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photoshop edits not saved in iPhoto

I've set up Photoshop CS4 as my external editor in iPhoto, and this has been working well for quite a while. I usually edit in Photoshop and save over the original (both jpeg files) in iPhoto. However, today I noticed that my edited work was not showing up in the gallery view (i.e. even after saving over, the original version of the photo was shown in my gallery). On close-up I can view the edited photo, but once I edit another photo the previous photo I edited reverts to its original form. I've tried repairing the library and permissions by pressing option + command on startup, but the problem still remains. None of my edited work is saved once I close and reopen iPhoto. Please help! :-(

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10), null

Posted on Jan 30, 2015 2:50 AM

16 replies

Jan 30, 2015 7:48 AM in response to sugarchild

i created a new library as you suggested, and it worked!!

Terence's suggestion to create a new library, was a test, not a fix. We now know, that iPhoto is working well on your system on a different library, so your old iPhoto library needs to be fixed.

You have already tried to repair the library and to repair the permissions.

Make a backup of the iPhoto library, and then try the last option to rebuild the iPhoto library.

Jan 30, 2015 8:02 AM in response to sugarchild

Next step then:

Download iPhoto Library Managerand use its rebuild function. (In early versions of Library Manager it's the File -> Rebuild command. In later versions it's under the Library menu.)

This will create an entirely new library. It will then copy (or try to) your photos and all the associated metadata and versions to this new Library, and arrange it as close as it can to what you had in the damaged Library. It does this based on information it finds in the iPhoto sharing mechanism - but that means that things not shared won't be there, so no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your events, albums and keywords, faces and places back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

Jan 30, 2015 8:44 AM in response to sugarchild

You are saving as a jpg (if the original file is a jpg), right? Check this workflow and see if you're doing anything significantly different than what's described. Screenshots are from Photoshop CS3 but should be similar to later versions.

Using Photoshop or Photoshop Elements as Your Editor of Choice in iPhoto.

1 - select Photoshop or Photoshop Elememts as your editor of choice in iPhoto's General Preference Section's under the "Edit photo:" menu.

User uploaded file

2 - double click on the thumbnail in iPhoto to open it in Photoshop. When you're finished editing click on the Save button. If you immediately get the JPEG Options window make your selection (Baseline standard seems to be the most compatible jpeg format) and click on the OK button. Your done.

3 - however, if you get the navigation window

User uploaded file

that indicates that PS wants to save it as a PS formatted file. You'll need to either select JPEG from the menu and save (top image) or click on the desktop in the Navigation window (bottom image) and save it to the desktop for importing as a new photo.

This method will let iPhoto know that the photo has been editied and will update the thumbnail file to reflect the edit..

With Photoshop Elements the Saving File preferences should be configured as shown:

User uploaded file

I also suggest the Maximize PSD File Compatabilty be set to Always. In PSE’s General preference pane set the Color Picker to Apple as shown:

User uploaded file

Screenshots are from PSE 10

Note 1: to switch between iPhoto and PS or PSE as the editor of choice Control (right)-click on the thumbnail and select either Edit in iPhoto or Edit in External Editor from the contextual menu. If you use iPhoto to edit more than PSE re-select iPhoto in the iPhoto General preference pane. Then iPhoto will be the default editor and you can use the contextual menu to select PSE for your editor when desired.

Note 2: editing a RAW file with either PSE or PS creates a new file which must be saved outside of iPhoto, i.e. the Desktop, and imported as a new photo into the iPhoto Library.

User uploaded file

Jan 30, 2015 11:03 AM in response to sugarchild

However I noticed a significant difference in file size between the old and new libraries - 34GB vs 25GB, is this anything to be concerned about?

Your old library may contain an iPod Photo cache, that can be quite large, if you have been syncing iPhoto with a mobile device.

See: iTunes: Understanding the iPod Photo Cache folder

This cache will be missing from your new library.

Jan 31, 2016 6:47 PM in response to Old Toad

I have a brand new iMac and had the same question. When I go into iPhoto, and click on "Edit", I don't get "preferences" preferences in the drop down menu. If I click on "Photos" in the upper left, I get a drop down menu with "preferences." However, My preference box doesn't look like yours, and it doesn't give me a default photo editor choice. Any thoughts ? Is my system (new) different ?

Photoshop edits not saved in iPhoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.