Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App Store Slow Download.

App Store for Mac has very slow download speed past few days. Trying to update to iTunes 12.1. Is this due to the App Store Server overloaded or my computer has problems? Can anyone give feedback. Thank You.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion, null

Posted on Jan 30, 2015 1:49 AM

9 replies

Jan 30, 2015 8:35 AM in response to Barrathan

Same here. Mac 10.10.2 and iOS 8.1.3 were unusually slow to update, but iTunes 12.1 won't even download. Fails every time. My guess is overloaded servers. I did notice that before iTunes 12.1 fails to download in the App Store, the process "softwareupdated" turns red in Activity Monitor and reads "Not Responding."

User uploaded file

All other network activity is normal for me. I can transfer files and download elsewhere normally, but anything associated with Apple is slow.

Jan 30, 2015 12:20 PM in response to Paul Malone

I am getting the same "software updated (Not Responding) in my activity as well. Not just my iMac 2,2 but my wife's MacBook Pro 13". So this is not an isolated issue. I'm also seeing very slow to stalled AppStore software update downloads on a friend of mine newer MBP 13" as well.

Apps download fine. It's the newest iOS update for the iphones and any Appstore Apple updates like iTunes, OS etc.

Feb 1, 2015 9:52 AM in response to georgefreeman

I have been unable to get Yosemite 10.10.2 and iTunes 12.1 using the Mac App Store. Also, can't get iOS 8.1.3 from either my iPhone or my iPad or from iTunes. I was able to download the 10.10.2 Combo update from Apple's web site but the iTunes 12.1 update fails to download from the iTunes download web page.

Obviously Apple servers are very very sick.

Mar 2, 2015 4:30 PM in response to Barrathan

This issue has been plaguing me for weeks, all OS X updates and iOS updates are downloading at 56kb speeds. This is the second time I've reinstalled OS X on two macs in as many months due to upgrades and nothing has changed in that time. So far it's taking any were between 4-12 hours to download 600mb on a 40mb connection with an average down speed of 4.5mb, all other network traffic is normal!

Mar 3, 2015 6:21 PM in response to brianx87

Apple servers are overloaded. Instead of using App Store, use safari to download the updates manually from apple websites.

Here's a link for OS X 10.10.2 Combo Update.
OS X Yosemite 10.10.2 Combo Update
I had the same issue and downloaded manually from this link. It took me about 30-40 minutes. I'm using a 5mb connection. Your 40mb connection should be faster.

As for the iOS updates, you will have to download them from your iOS devices, because there are no standalone updates for iOS. Alternatively after you update your Mac, use iTunes to download iOS updates by connecting your iOS devices with your Mac. That should be faster than downloading through your iOS devices.

App Store Slow Download.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.