Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference returns June 10, 2024

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

changeip checkhostname result

Server 4.0.3 Mac OS X 10.10.3

I'm using Terminal to confirm my DNS settings. Using

sudo changeip -checkhostname

I expect to see a confirmation of my domain name and IP address. This I've seen before (pre Yosemite) and its shown in many examples here. What I do get is

dirserv:success = "success"

Am I using the wrong command for Yosemite, did something else change or is this the answer I want?

Many thanks!

Posted on Jan 30, 2015 1:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2015 2:10 AM

Hi David,

This is the correct answer, from changeip, it did change in Yosemite from 10.9 and other OSX versions.

You only get a "success" notification when everything is ok.

Before running this tool you can run a dns check using

host hostname

host IP address

and then sudo changeip -checkhostname

When those check out, you are good to go with a solid DNS foundation!

Goodluck

Jeffrey

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 30, 2015 2:10 AM in response to David Gordon

Hi David,

This is the correct answer, from changeip, it did change in Yosemite from 10.9 and other OSX versions.

You only get a "success" notification when everything is ok.

Before running this tool you can run a dns check using

host hostname

host IP address

and then sudo changeip -checkhostname

When those check out, you are good to go with a solid DNS foundation!

Goodluck

Jeffrey

Jan 30, 2015 5:02 AM in response to jepping

changeip to check the status of your server no longer returns trustable results. The tool can be used to correct the identity of the server but you need to know the syntax of the tool and get your values in the right place. For example:

sudo /Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/sbin/changeip 172.16.0.45 172.16.0.45 Carbons-Mac-mini.local wave.carbontechnologies.com

In Yosemite, the best way to confirm that everything is proper is to use Server.app. First, ensure that DNS is setup and, as Jeffrey documented above, use your resolution tools to confirm (host, nslookup, dig). Once you are confident the server knows its own identity, open Server.app and select the server from the sidebar. On the Overview tab, look at the Hostname section. If the value is not a proper DNS name, press the Edit button and complete the assistant. This is the equivalent of changeip in Yosemite.

My guess is Apple is trying to further simplify their toolset. This means reducing the need to use tools other than Server.app. They have a long way to go, but but finally putting a working name validator into Server.app, they are addressing a very early need of server admins.

Reid

Apple Consultants Network

Author "Yosemite Server – Foundation Services" :: Exclusively available in Apple's iBooks Store

Author "Mavericks Server – Foundation Services" :: Exclusively available in Apple's iBooks Store

Author "Mavericks Server – Control and Collaboration" :: Exclusively available in Apple's iBooks Store

changeip checkhostname result

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.