Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Re: WD External drive won't mount

Hi

I have just experienced this issue today. I have gone through all the threads here and searched various other forums but haven't been able to come up with a solution yet. I might be missing something.

I'm running a 2011 Mac Book Pro OS 10.9.5 Maverick.

I have a 1TB My Passport for Mac that's a couple of years old now, it is used for my time machine backups. Using WD Drive Utilities, I can run a smart status scan which passes, the quick drive test Cancels.

In disk utility it appears on the left but is greyed out. The info that is provided tells me it is: (bare with me I'm using my iPad as my MacBook Pro won't allow me to Ely to this forum, an issue to tackle after this one)

type: partition

mount point: not mounted

owners enabled: no

journeled: no

disk utility is the only place I can see the drive appear. I don't Have the ability at the moment to connect the drive to a windows pc. I have also tried using disk utilities repair and erase options with no luck. I have tried using terminal and activity monitor several times as previously mentioned in this thread but again no luck but may have missed understood the directions.

I would simple reformat the drive but suspect because it's greyed out its why I can't.

any help or directions would be great?

thanks for your time and knowledge.

Posted on Nov 6, 2014 3:34 AM

10 replies

Jan 30, 2015 5:01 AM in response to BDAqua

I can start disk verify and repair, I can also start the partitioning process but it all crashes or comes up with errors 5 mins into the process. I have yet to reinstall maverick as an option. I'm getting a Segate External Hdd today to back up as an interim but would like to get this issue with the WD fixed if there is solution out there. Thanks for your help

Feb 4, 2015 6:10 PM in response to BDAqua

Read all the threads on this. I am similar to Phoenix86. I force quit fsck_hfs a few times when I started the bad drive but that did not prompt anything in finder. Currently I am imaging the drive to see if that gives me access to my files on the external. Last night I did a restore, but the (brand new) drive it saved to behaves just like the bad one that disk utilities so still can't access the files since that one won't mount either. I also tried a few things in terminal that someone else suggested, but like this repair:

fsck_hfs -r /dev/disk2s3

** /dev/rdisk2s3 (NO WRITE)

Can't open /dev/rdisk2s3: Permission denied

I don't know what to do with this message...

I feel so stupid, like the files are right there, but I can't get to them to copy them over. I can hear the disc spin, and it can eject from disk utility, can't open, not even in volumes directory.

Re: WD External drive won't mount

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.