Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8.1.3 - Battery draining very quickly

Since installing iOS 8.1.3 on my iPhone 6 the battery has started to drain very quickly with little to no use. Anybody else having the same problem

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Jan 30, 2015 6:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2015 3:51 PM

Hi, same issue here with iPhone5 after update to 8.1.3 battery consume of device is not normal, safari also takes much more battery..

269 replies

Jan 30, 2015 9:18 PM in response to Zahir Ahmad

I had the same issue yesterday when i updated my iPhone 6 to 8.1.3. I noticed the battery draining too fast and also the phone get hot from just light use, it even feels warm when I pick it up from standbay. I ended up downgrading to 8.1.2 and it sloved the problem I hthink (heat & battery issue).

If you're experiencing same issues with 8.1.3 please write your experience.

Feb 2, 2015 12:27 PM in response to Zahir Ahmad

I too was having some serious battery drain on IOS 8.1.3 on my iPhone 5S. The phone kept getting warm (like I was using maps navigation) I think I just fixed it. On the hunch that it had to be something with location services I went to the following location in my phones settings: Settings->Privacy->Location Services now scroll all the way down and Click System Services. Disable Cell Network Search, Setting Time Zone, and Wifi Networking. You can also try disabling these one at a time. I really don't need these services so I disabled them all.

Your phone should now cool down and hold a charge like it did before, mine does. Here are what those settings you are disabling do:

Cell Network Search:This tracks cell tower usage and congestion, and sends the data back to Apple for analysis as to what towers are being used the most, how you move between cell towers, and which ones are overused. It does not help your phone locate a cell tower. Turning this off will not affect your phone’s performance, according to Apple.

Setting Time Zone:Your time zone will be instantly adjusted according to your geographic location. Ever notice how as soon as you turn on your phone after a long flight, it displays the local time perfectly, even before getting cell signal? It’s this setting. If you turn it off, you’ll lose that functionality.

Wi-Fi Networking:This particular setting is interesting, and requires some explanation. As you move around a city, your iPhone is constantly picking up WiFi signals. It geotags that data (“XYZ WiFi is at this GPS location”), encrypts it so that it is anonymous and unique (otherwise the data would look like all hotspots are named “linksys”), and stores it as what Apple calls “crowdsourced Wi-Fi Hotspot locations”. Next time someone walks by that exact hotspot, their iPhone will know where they are without using GPS – because you basically already “marked” the area. Shutting this setting off will stop that info from being sent to Apple. It will not affect your phone’s performance.

* The above was taken from: http://www.clear-coat.com/blog/iphone-privacy-settings/

-Joe

Feb 5, 2015 8:24 AM in response to jfialkowski

I am in the same boat following the 8.1.3 update. A lot of threads out there reporting this battery drain issue - several have noted that in usage it also appears that the phone never actually goes into standby mode - mine shows that as well.

Never had to disable any of the location services - but if something has glitches, especially that cell network search bit, is a logically one to give hit. I have turned that off and also the diagnostic reporting for now. Will report back.

On Tuesday I was surprised mid-day when my phone was dead. Yesterday seemed a little better, but still had to keep in on a charger or be out well before end of day and same bit today. noticed the warmth and and more so when plugged in charging.

Before 8.1.3 was installed, zero issue going a full day with just charging overnight.

Hopefully a simple setting will be a temp fix until Apple gets this fixed.

Feb 5, 2015 1:27 PM in response to Zahir Ahmad

I Have weird battery behavior in an iPhone 5s since IOS 8 too, and it seems to get worst at each new patch. Battery drops very fast from 80% after 4 hours to 30 % after 8 hours. Around 16% percent (12 hours) the iPhone shuts down And won't restart unless I put some one minute power at it, then opens with 16 % then shuts down . Doing the procedure 5 or 6 times and then 1% .... wait for it to shutdown by itself, then put it with power and in 5 minutes ... 14%!

I wiped and restored the iPhone 2 times, did all the "usual" manipulations (reset network, reduce screen intensity, ...) nothing makes it better!

I Had no problem with IOS 7!

I am totally disconfident in Apple being able to fix it ....

Feb 5, 2015 1:42 PM in response to steph_a_m

the location setting changes didn't help me. Have never had issues with any iPhones and prior iOS update with respect to battery. Since 8.1.3 it has gotten really warm while charging... Stays warn even when idle... And usage implies not ever actually entering standby mode.

multiple reboots no help either

i hope Apple fixed this quickly

my bad for not doing my homework before clicking the update... I've not liked every update small or large - but first time with a power issue

frustrated

iOS 8.1.3 - Battery draining very quickly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.