Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ARDAgent - Application Firewall: allow incoming connections alert won't stop

Hello,

after having updated Remote Desktop Client from 3.8 to 3.8.2, users have to allow (or deny) incoming connections within the Firewall settings

WHENEVER starting the /System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app, especially when logging in or starting the /Applications/Remote\ Desktop.app (Admin)

ALTHOUGH

1. /System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app is locked in the Firewall Settings AND/or
  2. "Automatically allow signed Software to receive incoming connections" is checked (enabled)

When switching to a standard user (not an admin), he also can/must allow or deny - and the Firewall Settings are modified correspondingly.

My questions are so far:

1. Why the existing Firewall Setting does not affect when (re-)starting the ARDagent.app-deamon?
  2. Is the ARDagent.app (since Version 3.8.2) not a signed software?

This kind of attitude occurs for OS X 10.10.1 _and_ OS X 10.10.2.

Many thanks for any approach to overcome the problem and kind regards from Munich (GER).

Posted on Jan 30, 2015 6:47 AM

6 replies

Jan 30, 2015 10:43 AM in response to Roger Angus

I am also seeing this with ARDAgent.app v3.8.2 after the update.

I had a TM backup from before the update was installed, so I went back and replaced this entire folder from TM:

/System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/

This gave me back v3.8 of ARDAgent.app, and now when I go into Remote Desktop 3.8, I no longer have to allow or deny incoming traffic permissions.

The kicker though, is when I restart my Mac (10.10.2), it will re-detect the presence of 3.8 and again prompt me to update to 3.8.2, at which point the problems return.

Also, when checking the code signature of that updated 3.8.2 file in Terminal, this is what I get:

codesign -v /System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app

/System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app: resource envelope is obsolete (custom omit rules)

I used to have this with Remote Desktop 3.5.4 on OS X 10.6.8, so it's been a long time since this has occurred.

I've already submitted a bug feedback to the RD team, so hopefully this will get corrected, as it's obvious I'm not the only one experiencing this issue.

Feb 10, 2015 6:25 PM in response to EdisonW

Well it looks like Apple released a "revised" version of the Remote Desktop Client 3.8.2 update:

User uploaded file

Unfortunately, even after trashing old references to the ARDAgent.app file in my application firewall and letting it re-add, after a few minutes, the firewall will once again start prompting to allow said file to accept incoming connections, so at least in my case, the issue was not addressed.

Apple, please, can we finally put these age-old bugs to reset and stop resurrecting them?

Feb 18, 2015 7:09 AM in response to 18yvd04

Indeed. I am seeing this is as well. I am in a multi-vlan setup, I have ARD 3.7.2 for the servers. There are 2. All my clients (Mavericks) are 3.8.2 v2. 30% keep getting prompted for allow or deny the server. Some on a daily basis.

But here's the kicker. Different clients respond to the two servers differently. There seems to be no pattern.

I'll be upgrading to ARD 3.8 server as soon as my purchasing masters will allow. But if anyone else has an idea other than why aren't all your computers on Yosemite and all your clients/servers on 3.8, I'd love to hear it.

Feb 19, 2015 4:39 AM in response to 18yvd04

I was fighting with this 'till now.

This is what I did:

Remove ARDagent.app from /System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement

Remove it from the list in Firewall preferences.

Disable Firewall.

Reboot.

Install OSX 10.10.2 combo-update.

Reboot.

Add manually the ARDagent.app to the Allowed Rules in Firewall from /System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement

Enable Firewall.

Update to ARD Client v3.8.2 v1.1 from the App Store.

Reboot.

Here, the annoying firewall message has gone. I hope it will work for you too.

I know it's a bit raw and it can be done in a more sophisticated way... But I have no time to deal with this kind of sh*t!

Cheers.

ARDAgent - Application Firewall: allow incoming connections alert won't stop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.