Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto doesn't recognize iphone6plus, can't load all thumbnail, freezes during import. Please help

I've been importing photos from iphone to iphoto for couple of years with not any major issue. However, since I got the iphone 6 plus, there always seem to have some issue when importing, iphoto freezes during import, can't recognize iphone, etc. It just kept getting more and more difficult to import.

Sometimes my mac air and imac will not recognize my phone when it's connected. However, iTunes recognize my phone all the time. I've tried changing cable, use the original cable, clean up lightening port. Sometimes it works, but not always.

In occasions when iphone were recognized, not all photos thumbnails are showing. I currently have about 5000 photos on my iphone taking up about 15GB of space. (not all photos are taken by the camera roll (not sure if this is relevant)). I have tried rebuild thumbnail, restore and rebuild iphoto database... When I tried to import without all the thumbnails are ready, iphoto freezes.

I don't know how to pose one single question to describe my problem. It just seems I run into problem every step of the way when I'm trying to import. It's never smooths. I got stuck at different stage of photo transferring. Please help! Thanks in advance!

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Jan 30, 2015 6:57 AM

9 replies

Feb 3, 2015 7:15 PM in response to Yer_Man

Terence,

I tried to connect my phone with iMac again. iphoto was able to recognize my iphone. I created a new iphoto library and started to import all 5000 pictures. iphoto got stuck after importing 500 photos. However, thanks for mentioning Image Capture! I didn't even know it existed... After iphoto froze, I opened Image Capture and realize I can import from here.

Now I just need to deal with aae files.

Thanks for your help!

Feb 4, 2015 11:22 AM in response to restorefailed

Now I just need to deal with aae files.

The .aae files are the edited versions of your iPhone photos. iPhoto and Aperture cannot open these files. Hopefully the new Photos.app for the Mac will be able to open the edited versions of the iPhone photos.

See this knowledge base article: iPhoto and Aperture don't have edits to photos you import from iOS 8 devices

Apple recommends to mail the photos instead of downloading:

This is expected behavior. Only unedited originals will import to your Mac. As an alternative, you can share images you've edited from Photos via email. Once you tap Send to send the email, you'll be asked what size you'd like to send the photos as. Be sure to choose Actual Size in order to retain the full size image.

Note that photos you share will have all iOS 8 image adjustments applied.

The problem is, that iOS 8 has been developed for iCloud Photo Library, but that is still only Beta, and on the Mac only accessible from from the iCloud web interface, and even that is not working reliably right now. The Photos.app (early next year) will make it possible to download photos with edits applied.

iPhoto doesn't recognize iphone6plus, can't load all thumbnail, freezes during import. Please help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.