Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Sounds on iOS 8.1.3 and iPhone 6 Plus

Hi All,

Just upgraded to 8.1.3 on my iPhone 6 plus and all sounds have vanished from the phone. No ring sounds on receiving a call, no notification sounds, no lock sound, no keyboard sounds. I do get sound when I play music or video however.

I have checked settings and everything looks to be set correctly.

Anyone else got this? Any solutions?

TIA

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Jan 30, 2015 4:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2015 1:02 PM

Good evening, Sid-Hartha -

The resource below provides some steps to try if you are not hearing system sounds on your iPhone. Restarting the iPhone after an update is always a good first step.

If you hear no sound or distorted sound from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch speaker - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203794

Can't hear anything from the built-in speaker of your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch? Follow these steps and test the sound after each one.

1. Go to Settings > Sounds and drag the Ringer And Alerts slider to turn the volume up.
  2. If you can hear sound from the speaker, then the speaker works. Continue with these steps to find the setting or switch that's affecting the sound. If you can't hear sound from the speaker, contact Apple Support.
  3. Make sure the Ring/Silent switch is set to ring. If you can see orange, it's set to silent.
    User uploaded file
  4. Restart your device.
  5. Open an app that has music or sound effects. Adjust the volume with the volume buttons or the slider in Control Center.
  6. Go to Settings > Bluetooth and turn off Bluetooth.
  7. If there's still no sound, connect a headset. If you can hear sound through the headset, remove it and clear any dust or debris from the headset jack of your device.
  8. If the device is in a case, make sure that the case doesn't block the speaker.
  9. Use a brush to gently clear any debris from the speaker and Lightning connector (or 30-pin dock connector). The brush should be clean and dry and have soft bristles.
  10. Update your device to the latest version of iOS.

If you followed these steps and still hear no sound or distorted sound, contact Apple Support.

Last Modified:

Cheers,

- Judy

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 1, 2015 1:02 PM in response to Sid-Hartha

Good evening, Sid-Hartha -

The resource below provides some steps to try if you are not hearing system sounds on your iPhone. Restarting the iPhone after an update is always a good first step.

If you hear no sound or distorted sound from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch speaker - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203794

Can't hear anything from the built-in speaker of your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch? Follow these steps and test the sound after each one.

1. Go to Settings > Sounds and drag the Ringer And Alerts slider to turn the volume up.
  2. If you can hear sound from the speaker, then the speaker works. Continue with these steps to find the setting or switch that's affecting the sound. If you can't hear sound from the speaker, contact Apple Support.
  3. Make sure the Ring/Silent switch is set to ring. If you can see orange, it's set to silent.
    User uploaded file
  4. Restart your device.
  5. Open an app that has music or sound effects. Adjust the volume with the volume buttons or the slider in Control Center.
  6. Go to Settings > Bluetooth and turn off Bluetooth.
  7. If there's still no sound, connect a headset. If you can hear sound through the headset, remove it and clear any dust or debris from the headset jack of your device.
  8. If the device is in a case, make sure that the case doesn't block the speaker.
  9. Use a brush to gently clear any debris from the speaker and Lightning connector (or 30-pin dock connector). The brush should be clean and dry and have soft bristles.
  10. Update your device to the latest version of iOS.

If you followed these steps and still hear no sound or distorted sound, contact Apple Support.

Last Modified:

Cheers,

- Judy

Feb 10, 2015 1:31 PM in response to Sid-Hartha

Hi Sid-Hartha. I am having the similar problems, but unfortunately, it isn't 8.1.3 as my replacement phone had 8.1.2 on it, and STILL suffered from the same issues as well as others, Here's a letter I've written to Apple to include with my original defective device when I ship it back to them:

To Apple Service:

This is in regards to the 64 GB iPhone 6 plus that I recently received as a replacement for what I thought was a defective unit (please refer to Case #743584214, Serial Number #F2MNP8U4G5QY, Repair ID #D147332906). The replacement 64 GB iPhone 6 plus that I just received suffers from the exact same issues as the 64 GB iPhone 6 plus that I am returning to Apple in this box. Those issues are - 1.) no sound on random outgoing or incoming phone calls: in other words, the phone rings when I receive a call but I can’t hear the caller, or, I will call someone and the phone won’t ring nor can I hear the person I am calling when they pick up (the call issues are completely random); 2.) the phone's screen flies down as if in some kind of menu mode (see example image below*) for no apparent reason: this can be achieved by rubbing your thumb in a circular motion on the home button until the screen lowers to half way; and 3.) the phone will receive a text message, but randomly won't play the assigned notification sound, nor will it display the lock screen banner or alert: once again, totally at random.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. I am assuming that these are all software issues and will hopefully be addressed in upcoming IOS updates. If not, then these are some serious hardware issues that are affecting a lot of Apple's iPhone 6 plus stock, since I doubt it would be coincidence that I would have received another identically defective replacement unit a month after purchasing the first original defective unit, especially since the original defective unit came from a local Best Buy, and the replacement defective unit, that is still in my possession, came directly from Apple.

If Apple needs anything from me regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact me, either at ---------------------------. If anyone from Apple calls me, and I seem to not be able to hear anything, and I hang up, just have the person call me back.

For now, I will patiently await IOS updates 8.2 and 8.3 in hopes that they will correct the issues that I've outlined in this letter.

User uploaded file

No Sounds on iOS 8.1.3 and iPhone 6 Plus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.