Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBookAir doesn't wake up

Have had the early-2014 MBA for about 6 months, and in the past month or so, every so often it does not wake up after being in Sleep mode for a long period of time (approx. 10 hours). Oddly(?) it does not even indicate that it was shut down improperly, which often will happen if I just shut it down using the power switch. Unfortunately, there is no Apple store very close to me for me to take it to. I do have AppleCare on it.

Is there a fix for this, or do I need to schlep to an Apple store?

THanks

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Jan 30, 2015 6:56 AM

1 reply

Feb 1, 2015 2:41 PM in response to LIPhotoman

Hello LIPhotoman,

Thank you for participating in the Apple Support Communities.

You mention that your MacBook Air sometimes does not wake from sleep, and you're wondering if you should visit an Apple Store for help.

Since this situation only occurs every so often, there are some steps I'd try first to see if they resolve the situation.

First, take a look at these tips from the following article:

OS X: When your Mac doesn't sleep or wake - Apple Support

Your computer cannot wake from sleep

If you are using a Mac notebook:

• Make sure the computer's battery is charged. Try connecting the power adapter to the computer, then press the power button for one second to see if the computer powers on.
  • Make sure the AC power cord is connected securely to the power outlet, and that the outlet it is working correctly. Confirm the power adapter or cable is attached firmly.
  • If your computer is plugged into a power strip, make sure the power strip is not turned off. Check to make sure other items connected to the power strip are receiving power.
  • Confirm the right power adapter is connected on Mac notebook computers. If a lower wattage power adapter is used than the one that came with your Mac, it may not provide enough power to charge the battery while the computer is powered on. Make sure there is no debris in the MagSafe port that might prevent charging. When your MagSafe cable is connected properly, you should see a green or orange light on the connector.

If the situation continues, try these steps next:

Reset SMC

The System Management Controller (SMC) is involved in managing power on your computer. Reset the SMC on your Mac if you are having difficulty sleeping or waking your computer.

Reset NVRAM/PRAM

Nonvolatile RAM (NVRAM)/Parameter RAM (PRAM) stores some power-related settings.Try resetting NVRAM/PRAM if you are having difficulty sleeping or waking your computer.

Sincerely,

Jeremy

MacBookAir doesn't wake up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.