Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud stopped backups after working fine three mints in ipad air.

GOt first gen iPad Air last August. Used iCloud to transfer from my iPad 2, with no problems. Backups were going fine til Dec 24/14 and now it won't back up anymore. I have plenty of storage space, 20 gig and my back ups were just over 5 gigs before. I've tried to Backup Now and it doesn't complete. Any help appreciated.

Posted on Jan 30, 2015 7:24 AM

1 reply

Feb 1, 2015 2:40 PM in response to MerBear

Hi MerBear,

Welcome to the Support Communities! Try the troubleshooting steps in the article below to resolve the issue you are having creating an iCloud backup. Have you tried backing up to iTunes on your computer?

Back up and restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch using iCloud or iTunes - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203977

Get help creating an iCloud backup - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203516

Get help with issues or questions that you might have when you create an iCloud backup.

How do I make sure that my iOS device backs up regularly?

You can set your iOS device to back up automatically. In iOS 8, tap Settings > iCloud > Backup and turn on iCloud Backup. (In iOS 7, tap Settings > iCloud > Storage & Backup and turn on iCloud Backup.) When iCloud Backup is turned on, iCloud automatically backs up your iOS device daily. This daily backup can occur only when the device meets all of these conditions:

• The device is connected to a power source.
  • The device is connected to the Internet via Wi-Fi.
  • The device's screen is locked.

To back up your device manually:

1. Connect the device to a power source and make sure that you're also connected to the Internet using Wi-Fi.
  2. In iOS 8, tap Settings > iCloud > Backup and tap Back Up Now. In iOS 7, tap Settings > iCloud > Storage & Backup and tap Back Up Now.

I can't back up because there's not enough storage available.

If your iCloud storage reaches its maximum capacity, you can take any of these actions:

Why is my backup larger than what I see backing up?

When managing your storage, you might notice a difference between the size of your backup and the amount of data that your device appears to back up. That's because some apps that come with iOS back up data to iCloud, but don't appear under Backup Options on your device. For example, Voice Memos and Messages (especially messages with attachments) add to the size of your backup. Use these steps if you want to save Message attachments or voice memos to your computer before deleting them from your device:

1. Open the message and tap Details.
  2. Scroll down to attachments and tap the image or video that you want to save.
  3. Tap User uploaded file, then tap Save Image.
  4. Save your photos to your computer.
  5. Delete the image or video from your Photo Library (or Camera Roll), then delete the message or message attachment from Messages.

Voice Memos

1. Connect your device to your computer.
  2. In iTunes, select your device in the sidebar.
  3. Select the Music tab.
  4. Select Sync Music, and click Apply. Your Voice Memos will save as a playlist in your iTunes library.

I received a message saying I'm about to run out of storage, but my device shows that there's plenty of storage.

There's a difference between how much storage you have on your iOS device and how much storage you have in iCloud.

• To see how much storage you have on your device, tap Settings > General > Usage.
  • To see how much iCloud storage you have, tap Settings > iCloud > Storage. (In iOS 7, tap Settings > iCloud > Storage & Backup.)

Where can I learn more about a message I received when my device was backing up?

See the messages that might appear when your device is backing up.

If you might have trouble remembering the text of the message, you can take a screenshot on your iOS device. Press the Home and Lock buttons to save an image of the current screen to your Photo Library (or Camera Roll in iOS 7).

My backup is taking a long time to finish.

Depending on the size of your backup and the speed of your network, you might need more time to back up. Using a reliable connection when backing up your device is highly recommended.

Learn more

If you haven't backed up your iOS device to iCloud for 180 days or longer, Apple reserves the right to delete the backups associated with that device. Review the iCloud Terms and Conditions for more information.

Last Modified:

Hope this helps ...

- Judy

iCloud stopped backups after working fine three mints in ipad air.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.