Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 12 play counts not updating

So... my home Mac hosts my main iTunes library and was on the last version iTunes 11. I connect to it from my Windows laptop in my office, with the Home Sharing setting to update play counts and dates turned on (I need this for certain playlists to work). My Windows machine was also on the latest 11.xx version. After upgrading the Windows machine to iTunes 12.01, this feature stopped working. I can play music from my main iTunes library on my laptop just fine, but they don't get updated with the last play date and count on the main library - like it did earlier this morning.

I then upgraded iTunes on my Mac that hosts the iTunes library and it's now on 12.01 as well - but the problem is still there.

Anyone else have this issue? This isn't the first time I've had an iTunes upgrade break this feature.

Is it ever safe to apply an upgrade to iTunes without worrying about a key feature not working any more?

Several - iMac, Thinkpad, Mac OS X (10.6.1), Mac home desktop, Windows work laptop

Posted on Jan 30, 2015 9:02 AM

5 replies

Feb 2, 2015 7:49 AM in response to DougCobb

Actually, it's not working, but I've narrowed the problem. The playlist is not updating on the remote computer. The play counts and last play dates are being updated on the server, but unlike in iTunes 11, the remote playlist does not update, even though the new play dates and counts are visible on the remote computer.

The only way to refresh the playlists on the remote computer is to turn off and then restart iTunes on the remote computer, and reconnect to the host library. That causes the playlists to refresh and reflect the impact of the songs played. This is tolerable, but far less than ideal.

This has to be a bug.

Apr 7, 2015 5:34 PM in response to DougCobb

this has been an on-and-off again issue for iTunes for at least 2 years. Apple seems not to care since it's never been addressed or corrected.
It also is a bit random - sometimes it updates in full, sometimes only a few songs played update and others nothing's updated. It doesn't even tie to purchase-type since you get both iTunes purchases songs both updating and not as well as CD burned songs or songs imported from another source.

And, as I noted, Apple in no way seems to care.. easily seen if you search and see the vast number of threads on this over the years without Apple response, it'll keep on happening.

Apr 21, 2015 4:27 PM in response to DougCobb

This again happened to me for a couple of week and all of a sudden my phone decided to go through the 'Trust This Computer' question... and once I clicked 'Yes' it started to remember my last played song.

So... that may be the issue - you, somehow, need to go through that 'Trust This Computer' cycle. Not sure how to force it to do so but someone / somewhere in this discussion board must have the answer

iTunes 12 play counts not updating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.