Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable To Install iTunes on Windows 7

I had iTunes on this computer right up until an hour ago when I was told there was an update available for it. I tried to update it, the update failed. In the process it corrupted the iTunes program that was already there and working just fine. So I used the ADD/REMOVE Programs function on Windows to remove iTunes and then went to the Apple site and downloaded the installer for iTunes. Upon running the installer I get the usual "Open File - Security Warning" asking if I am sure I want to run the file. I click run. The status bar comes up as the installer opens.

The "Welcome to iTunes" window comes up and displays the version to be installed as 12.1.0.71 x64. I click next.

The installation options screen comes up, add shortcut to desktop and use iTunes as default player, English and destination folder. I uncheck the default player option and click install.

I get the permission to make changes to the hard drive question.

Installer runs.

Then a message pops up:

"An error occurred during the installation of assembly 'Microsoft.VC80.CRT.type="win32".version="8.0.50727.6195".publicKeyToken="1fc8b 3b9a1e18e3b".processorArchitecture="AMD64"". Please refer to Help and Support for more information. "HRESULT: 0x80070091"

I click OK. The installer says, "rolling back action" and tries again. And supposedly makes it further this time around. It's status says "starting services" and my computer makes the sound like hardware has been connected and my phone chirps that it's connected to the PC. But the installer is frozen at this point.

I then get an error that states:

"Service 'Apple Mobile Device Service' (Apple Mobile Device Service) failed to start. Verify you have sufficient privileges to start system services. Abort Retry Ignore.

Clicking RETRY does not resolve the issue. Clicking IGNORE does not allow the program to proceed. Clicking ABORT rolls back the installation completely and closes the program.

I have gone to Services.msc and found the service in question and told it to start. And am given the following message:

Windows could not start the Apple Mobile Device Service on Local Computer. Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

Interestingly enough, there are TWO services with this name. One is started, the other is not.

System information:

OS = Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) and is up to date with all windows updates.
Chipset is NVIDIA
Processor is Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.4GHz
RAM = 8192MB
Page File 4142 of 16378MB used

iPhone 4S, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Jan 30, 2015 10:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2015 10:26 AM

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

Your library should be unaffected by these steps but there is backup and recovery advice elsewhere in the user tip.

tt2

72 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 30, 2015 10:26 AM in response to Nilrem435

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

Your library should be unaffected by these steps but there is backup and recovery advice elsewhere in the user tip.

tt2

Jan 30, 2015 10:52 AM in response to turingtest2

Well I've tried that. I'm at the step where I remove Apple Mobile Device Support. It takes forever at the "Preparing To Remove" part. Then it asks permission to update software. Then the green progress bar goes from left to right....up to about 95%. Then it goes backwards to 0% and closes the program. Apple Mobile Device Support remains on the computer.

EDIT: This part of the issue has been resolved.

Jan 30, 2015 11:39 AM in response to Nilrem435

Hi I've got the same problem. I've deleted all Apple files as instructed, made sure Windows is bang up to date, done 2 reboots, tried 2 clean installs of Itunes 12.1. The problem seems to happen at Apple Mobile Device Services 'failed to start'. I've come to the conclusion its a screwup from Apple and will have to wait for them to fix it before I can use Itunes again with ANY of my devices. Not pleased. The computer will also not see any files on my devices, so I can't copy photos over etc.

Jan 30, 2015 11:58 AM in response to Nilrem435

Well iTunes won't run now. One of the programs needed to run it doesn't get installed when iTunes is installed.

Apple Application Support was not found.

Apple Application Support is required to run iTunes. Please uninstall iTunes, then install iTunes again.

Error 2 (Windows Error 2)

It seems that iTunes is just completely incompatible with Windows 7 all the way around now (every Google search I run on these problems brings up fixes specifically for Windows 8)

Jan 30, 2015 1:34 PM in response to turingtest2

Actually I found the problem. For some reason the website defaults to installing the 32-Bit version. You need to actually go digging to find the 64-Bit version and it says it's not recommended to install the 64-Bit version because it's for old machines (despite 64-Bit being newer than 32-Bit). That's probably the problem everyone is having.

Jan 30, 2015 1:52 PM in response to Nilrem435

Depending on your browser and/or its settings the download page may fail to identify your machine as 64-bit. There are now three builds of iTunes, a 32-bit version, a 32-bit version with a 64-bit installer. and now with iTunes 12.1 a full 64-bit version. Previous 64-bit versions have in fact been mostly 32-bit code with a 64-bit installer. I am using the 32/64 version as I got an error with the full version that video playback could not be supported on my machine. I've placed direct links to each in the user tip.

tt2

Unable To Install iTunes on Windows 7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.