Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth mouse not working after upgrade to Yosemite

I have an early 2014 Mac Pro. I'm using an Apple Magic Mouse with it, purchased around the time the Mac shipped at the beginning of May. I have another Mac and mouse combination nearby, but no other Bluetooth devices in the area.

Two days ago, I upgraded the OS from 10.9.9 to 10.10.2. Before the upgrade, I never had a problem with the mouse's connection dropping.

After the upgrade, the mouse started dropping its connection regularly. At first, it would restore right away. Each time, it took a bit longer to reconnect. Now, it won't reconnect at all.

What do I have to do to get these Apple products to work nicely with each other? At this point, I'll need to run out and get a wired mouse. If I don't Apple's own software upgrade will have bricked my very expensive machine...

Posted on Jan 30, 2015 1:15 PM

7 replies

Jan 30, 2015 1:26 PM in response to lllaass

I'm using no other Bluetooth items with that computer. The only other Bluetooth item within 30 feet or so is another Mac and its mouse, which are not having problems. (They're also not running Yosemite.)

It could well be a BT problem with the computer, but the timing with the Yosemite upgrade is suspicious.

If I can't get it fixed by Sunday, I'll have to take it to the Genius Bar. I absolutely need this machine fully usable by Monday morning.

Jan 31, 2015 9:09 PM in response to Linc Davis

That gets it working for a couple of minutes, then it fails again. It's impossible to get any work done if the mouse cuts out every few minutes.

It didn't fail a single time through months of heavy use, now it fails every few minutes. I can't just shut down my computer a few times an hour to reset the Bluetooth connection. There must be a way to fix this.

Feb 1, 2015 1:38 AM in response to jposner

Have you tried disconnecting and powering down all peripherals except monitor, mouse and KB to help determine if interference from those is causing the problem.

Next I would try another BT KB simce maybe a defective KB.

You can also make an appointment at the Genius Bar of an Apple store and bring the Mac and KB.

Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar

BTW, there is no 2104 Mac Pro desktop. The latest is still the late 2013 Mac Pro.

Feb 1, 2015 4:38 AM in response to lllaass

I'm using a wired keyboard. The mouse is the only Bluetooth peripheral. The only other devices connected to the machine are a display (Apple 30" Cinema Display), and a pair of external hard drives connected to Thunderbolt ports.

I have tried powering up the machine without the external drives, and that does not make any difference. I cannot get the mouse to sustain a connection ever since the upgrade to 10.10.2.

If the cause of the problem is a bug in 10.10.2, will the folks at the Genius bar be able to fix it? The current state renders the machine unusable for my work.

Bluetooth mouse not working after upgrade to Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.