Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

choppy playback of all flash/facebook videos on MacBook (Mid 2010) (clean yosemite installation!!)

Hi!

I did an upgrade from Mavericks to Yosemite on my MB Pro 13" (Mid 2010). Now I got a lot of problems with videos (flash) in Safari 8.
I seams that there is an issue while loading the video stream. After the loading most of the videos have a smooth playback.

Firefox works perfect and HTML5 videos on YouTube are no problem!

I did several tests:

- safari reset

- abobe flash reinstall

- deactivation of hardware acceleration in adobe flash

- test with a new user account/profile on OS X

- WiFi off and use a wired connection

- CLEAN install of Yosemite !!!

Any idea? 😟

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), 8 GB RAM

Posted on Jan 30, 2015 12:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2015 12:49 PM

Uninstall Flash.

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-mac-os.html

Reinstall Adobe Flash.

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Safari > Preferences > Security > Internet Plug-ins:

Allow plug-ins

Enable it.

12 replies

Jan 30, 2015 7:44 PM in response to biotech79

From your Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Privacy tab.

Click: Remove All Website Data

Open System Preferences > Flash Player then select the Advanced tab.

Click Delete All under Browsing Data and Settings

Now delete the Safari cache.

Open a Finder window. From the Finder menu bar click Go > Go to Folder

Type or copy paste the following

~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/Cache.db

Click Go then move the Cache.db file to the Trash.

Quit and relaunch Safari then try a video.

Feb 1, 2015 11:06 PM in response to biotech79

I'm getting the same thing. Posts in Facebook with youtube, dailymotion video's etc work fine. It's the video's uploaded to Facebook that become laggy when playing during loading. Only when the video is fully loaded it will play normally. Flash Player is fully updated. Also on Yosemite. So there seems to be some kind of general problem for all of us Safari/Yosemite/Flash users. In Chrome the same videos uploaded to Facebook posts play smoothly. So it's more of a Safari thing I think.

Feb 14, 2015 3:07 PM in response to biotech79

Ever since the update 10.10.2 I have been having terrible video performance.

Streaming is always holding frames like a really bad 4/3 pull down on my mac mini. On my MBP youtube video will take almost two seconds before audio starts.

Apple sadly is becoming the company like Microsoft and why I left using Windows.

So far everything in the thread has no helped 😟

May 2, 2015 1:25 PM in response to biotech79

Same problem here. Flash videos play terribly while they are are downloading, even if the download is way ahead of the playhead. Once the download is finished they work fine.

The same videos work perfectly in FireFox or Chrome, it's not a machine performance issue. This is clearly something to do with Safari and the horrible attempt at implementing asynchronous web browsing that can't stop crashing when Safari is open.

I remember when Apple software worked. Snow Leopard was the high water mark for OS X, every release since then has gotten buggier and buggier as they try to force useless and unreliable features on us. I dread every update because nothing improves, stuff just breaks.

Without Steve Jobs to kick *** Apple is just an even more evil version of Microsoft.

May 8, 2015 9:27 AM in response to Darik Datta

Couldn't agree more. Since the upgrade on Safari and Yosemite I've (we've) had to deal with the new "Photos" from iPhoto, and now the choppy videos are simply unacceptable on any Apple product. Every upgrade gets worse and worse. Nothing listed on this thread has helped. All Facebook videos that I post, or that are posted, do not play bay smoothly at all. 2-second snips and they are simply unwatchable! I'll be calling Apple - again - if no solutions come along. Apple has fallen to the way side since Steve Jobs passed away, and they must know that by now!

choppy playback of all flash/facebook videos on MacBook (Mid 2010) (clean yosemite installation!!)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.