Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

convert .pct to jpeg

How can i convert a .pct to jpeg

Posted on Jan 30, 2015 4:26 PM

5 replies

Feb 2, 2015 9:11 AM in response to johnfromnarragansett

Hey John,

If I understand correctly you need to change the file format of this .PCT file to that of a .JPEG or .JPG. If it opens in Preview when you double click it, you should be able to export to the required format:

Convert graphics file types - Preview Help

Preview can convert image files to many file types including JPEG, JPEG 2000, PDF, PNG, PSD, TIFF, and others. This can be useful if you share files with people who use other kinds of computers or if you want to open files in apps that don’t read all file types.

1. Open the file in Preview, then choose File > Export.

2. Click the Format pop-up menu, then choose a file type.

If you don’t see the file type you want, hold down the Option key as you click the Format pop-up menu to see specialized or older formats.

Depending on the file format you choose, additional options may appear. If you choose JPEG or JPEG 2000, you can adjust the image’s quality. If you choose PDF, you can choose a Quartz filter to apply to the image, and you can encrypt the image so that only those with the password can view it.

3. Type a new name, or choose a new location for saving the converted file, then click Save.

Tip: To convert more than one image file at a time, open the files in one window, select them in that window’s sidebar, then follow the steps above.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

All the very best,

Sterling

Feb 3, 2015 11:50 AM in response to johnfromnarragansett

The problem is that the Export feature in the drop down is not highlighted only export as pdf is

True, but PDF renderings can be captured to PNG, cropped, scaled, and/or exported to JPG files.

Here's How:

1. Open the PCT file in a version of Preview that supports this format.
  2. Scale the PCT image as desired.
  3. Enlarge the preview window until the entire image can be viewed.
  4. Select the File menu "Take Screen Shot > From Selection..." option and take a "snapshot" of the PCT image. (I normally leave a frame around the image for later trimming.)
  5. When the "snapshot" of the PCT image opens in Preview, create a selection box the exact size of the image or portion thereof you wish to keep. (E.g., if my source PCT image is 1280x532 and I wish to keep all of it, I create a 1280x532 "selection box" within in the "snapshot" window.
  6. Use arrow keys to overlap the edges of the entire image or to frame the portion of the snapshot you wish to keep.
  7. When satisfied that your target image is properly selected/centered, select the Tools menu "Crop" option to crop your image.
  8. You may now go to the File men "Export" option and export your PNG snapshot as a JPG file.
  9. Save and/or close/delete the open temporary Preview windows used in this workflow as needed/desired.

This workflow assumes you are operating under Yosemite and do not have any old image utilities installed that support direct PCT to JPG file conversion. You can also use any image app the can open a PCT image (e.g., QT 7) for display on your screen and use the built-in system snapshot feature to create a PNG image for cropping and conversion with image utilities that do not support PCT files directly but may be installed on your system.

User uploaded file

convert .pct to jpeg

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.